It's time to get planting...
Spring is one of the most beautiful and uplifting seasons of the year due to all the fresh blooms that pop up during these months.
It's the perfect time to get pruning in the garden to get it ready for Summer and also to plant up some beautiful Spring bulbs and display them on window sills of in window boxes for everyone to admire.
Whether you choose spring flowers for their beautiful scent or for their colour and statement style - our quick and easy potting tips will have you ready to impress in no time.
A Quick and Easy Guide to Potting Plants in Spring
What you will need:
- Pot of choice (we love our quirky Cute Cheetah and Beautiful Bear Vases for adding some personality).
- Good Quality Soil
- Hand Trowel & Gloves (if you don't want to get your hands dirty).
- Chosen Flower/Bloom (Tulips, Hyacinths, Dahlias, Snowdrops and Primrose are all great options at this time of year)
- Choose a position... (not too much and not too little sunlight)
1. If your chosen pot doesn't have a drainage hole in the bottom and you can't create one - add a layer of stones or pebbles to the bottom of your pot to make sure the plant does not get waterlogged.
2. Next, add some of your soil to the bottom and make a hole in the middle that is as deep as the roots are for your plant so that the base of the plant's stem is level with the top of the pot.
If you're planting a bulb, a general rule of thumb is to make the hole 2-3 times the depth of the bulb and plant with the shoot facing upwards, but always check the packet for individual instructions.
3. Before you place the plant into the pot, wet the roots and gently break up the soil with your hands to make sure the roots grow outwards into the new soil.
4. Pop your plant into the pot and fill any gaps with more soil and gently press the soil to make sure the plant is supported. cover just the top part of the root so that you have new surface soil, but avoid covering any part of the stems. (For tall or climbing plants give them support by adding a stick or bamboo for large plants).
5. Maintenance: Water regularly and deadhead any flowers that have died/turned brown for new flowers to grow.
Want to get the look?! Discover our favourite vases at Rockett St George...
To Discover More of Our Quirky Vases, head to the Rockett St George Vases, Plant Pots & Planters Department
If you liked this post please feel free to comment and share. We look forward to seeing your homes on Facebook and Instagram - use our hashtag #rockettstgeorge.