This year, October is a particularly important month for us because it is the official month of publication of our debut book: Extraordinary Interiors! All this month we will be bringing you a series of #10MINSWITH blogs including homeowners that have been featured in the book! So, of course, to kick things off we just had to start with our brilliant co-founder, Jane Rockett...
There is so much to say about Jane: an astute businesswoman, mother, photography expert and all round interiors extraordinaire. Jane, alongside co-founder Lucy St George (check out Lucy's #10MINSWITH blog), set up RSG 10 years ago. Their inspiration?! To create a home interiors emporium that brings surprising and delightful interiors that cannot be found elsewhere. Step just one foot into Jane's Sussex home you'll see that Jane stays true to this testament with beautiful, surprising and often sentimental interiors that Jane has collected over the years. So to give you a little sneak peek into the brains behind the business we have sat down with Jane to find out more about her home, career and of course, her favourite RSG pieces...
Jane's beautiful dining space where she and her family and friends come together to relax and hang out as featured in Rockett St George: Extraordinary Interiors (Ryland Peters & Small, £19.99) Photography by Debi Treloar.
1. Let’s start at the very beginning. You launched Rockett St George with co-founder, Lucy St George, back in 2007. When did you and Lucy first meet and what inspired you to start your own interiors business together?
Lucy and I met at a fancy dress party, we had a great night and then the next time we met we didn’t recognise each other in normal clothes. We became great friends bonding over our love carbooting and antique fairs.
Where the magic happens - Jane's workspace as featured in Rockett St George: Extraordinary Interiors (Ryland Peters & Small, £19.99) Photography by Debi Treloar.
2.What do you love most about your job as co-founder of Rockett St George?
I am so lucky to have such variety in my job, no day is ever the same.
3.You and your family live in a stunning townhouse in Cuckfield, Sussex. Describe your home to us in three words.
Calm, monochrome mix.
Jane's living space as featured in Rockett St George: Extraordinary Interiors (Ryland Peters & Small, £19.99) Photography by Debi Treloar.
4. What room in your house does the family typically hang out in? What is the interior inspiration behind the room’s decor?
We all gather around the kitchen island in the evening while my partner, Toby cooks dinner. My house is my sanctuary, somewhere where I can relax and spend time with my family. It is primarily designed for this purpose with a sociable kitchen design, lots of seating to hang out on in the sitting room and a giant dining table for big family and friends dinners. I am inspired by travel and like to bring something home with me from everywhere I visit which is added to my décor. I believe a home is a work in progress which has pieces added and taken away over the years – it grows and changes as you do.
Jane's kitchen as featured in Rockett St George: Extraordinary Interiors (Ryland Peters & Small, £19.99) Photography by Debi Treloar
5.When styling or redecorating a room in your home, what is the first thing that you do or plan to style the room?
The first thing to consider is the role of the room, who is going to use it and what the traffic flow will be? Second is the light - is it a north or south facing room? The light will be very different and will ultimately affect my choice of wall colour.
6. From your experience, what decorating mistakes have you made and how does someone who is thinking of redecorating avoid that mistake?
Never be influenced by trends. I have wallpapered my bedroom in an on-trend wallpaper which I love, but I didn’t consider how I use the room to relax and take time out. The choice was a huge mistake as it created completely the wrong atmosphere. I did have to redecorate the whole room.
Once Jane had considered her personal style and taste she opted for a beautiful snakeskin print wallpaper and it completely transformed how she felt about the room. Image featured in Rockett St George: Extraordinary Interiors (Ryland Peters & Small, £19.99) Photography by Debi Treloar
7. You have a serious case of the travel bug and have visited some of the most amazing places. Name one hotel or place that you have stayed at that really inspired you?
I have stayed at some really amazing Airbnb’s in the last year including Zen Hideaway in Bali, La Maison in Marrakesh and 1857 Townhouse in Hove. They are all really inspiring and well worth a visit.
Jane's Cabinet of Curiosities filled with her treasured memories, momentoes and favourite pieces from her travels as featured in Rockett St George: Extraordinary Interiors (Ryland Peters & Small, £19.99) Photography by Debi Treloar.
8. You are an Instagram Queen, constantly finding interior inspiration that we could spend hours drooling over. Where do you find these images and name three people to follow on Instagram?
I spend hours looking at images of rooms, it is my passion. Whenever I see one that really inspires me, I post it. I love @hansblomquist who is not only lovely but also one of the best stylists in the world. I also really enjoy @interiormilk, @chairishco, @cleoschulderman for interiors and @jackguiness is not only easy on the eye but really makes me laugh a lot.
9. Tell us one exciting thing that’s in store for Rockett St George in the future?
We are currently working on a new collection of products being produced in Marrakesh. We are working with artisans to create some really beautiful products including tiles, ceramic and rugs. I can’t wait to see how they come out.
Jane's gorgeous guest room as seen in Rockett St George: Extraordinary Interiors (Ryland Peters & Small, £19.99) Photography by Debi Treloar.
10.Finally, name 3 New RSG products that you love and tell us why it just had to be part of Rockett St George Collection?!
The Cloud Chair is a chair we designed ourselves and is a truly wonderful statement chair. Our new bed linen which is so luxurious and looks gorgeous and finally the new Flower Wall Light which is so super glamourous.
Quick Fire Questions
1. I am happiest when… with my partner Toby and my kids.
2. My favourite magazine is… this changes all the time, but I currently love Conde Nast Travel Magazine.
3. My dream holiday would be… again this changes all the time but right now somewhere in Italy. I am having a bit of a love affair with Italy at the moment.
4. My ideal day would be spent…. with family and friends enjoying good food, drinking delicious wine in the sunshine somewhere beautiful.
5. My personal motto is… Say yes to everything, even if it scares you.
6. My guilty pleasure is…box sets, I love a TV binge. I’ve just finished Tin Star which was brilliant.
7. The last film I saw was… Dunkirk which I really loved. My grandad always used to tell me the story so it was great to see it brought to life so brilliantly.
8. My favourite book is… A Long Way Home which was made into the movie Lion. It is moving and inspiring beyond belief.
9. In five years’ time, I want to be… healthy and happy.
10. The three things I can’t live without are… family, friends and travel
To learn about how to create showstopping interiors, get your copy of Extraordinary Interiors on the Rockett St George Website and to find out more about the Rockett St George story watch our YouTube video