10 Mins With Kimberley Walsh
Former Girls Aloud member, singer, actress and presenter, we chat to the lovely Kimberley Walsh about her varied career, divine decor, entertaining at home and more.
A mother of two, with one more on the way and a busy career, Kimberley Walsh is such a brilliant and talented woman. When finding out that her passion for interiors is much like ours, we were thrilled to take 10 mins to chat with Kimberley about how she is currently styling her home, an exciting life in the entertainment industry and even her favourite Rockett St George products! So, if you want to know more about her fabulous interiors, personal career highlights and how she has created a gorgeous family home, read below to discover more...
1. You have had an exciting and varied career. What has been your career highlight?
My time in Girls Aloud was very special and such a life changing experience. It was amazing to travel the world with the girls, winning our Brit Award and supporting Coldplay and Jay Z at Wembley stadium were definitely highlights for me!
2. Can you tell us a little bit about your home, what was it about your home that made you fall in love with it?
I knew the minute I walked in my home that it was the house for me. I love period properties with unusual features and details and my house is full of them. It’s very quirky in its layout with the different levels it has and has all the wonderful features of a Victorian home with high detailed ceilings, coving and archways all through the house.
3. What would you say is your trademark style in both fashion and in your home?
I think my style is actually mirrored in both my fashion and interior. I like a classic style in both. Nothing too wild but I love finding unusual pieces for my home and in what I wear. Classic and timeless is what I love.
4. Which room in your home is your favourite and why?
We’ve just renovated our dining room in the first lockdown and I’m so pleased with it. It was all light before but we’ve done the walls and ceiling in a dark navy blue which has really highlighted the ceiling detail and really transformed the room. We got some gorgeous oversized Art Deco brass wall lights and I have teamed the blue with some nude pink tones which has really worked. I just love how I feel like I’m in a restaurant when I’m in there, it’s fab for dinner parties and entertaining at home.
5. What is a treasured piece in your home that makes you smile?
I’m not sure I could call it a treasured possession but I’ve just also renovated my bathroom and found the most amazing bath with a matt finish and beautiful detail. It’s funny how happy a piece like this makes me, it literally makes me smile every morning!
6. We love the way you decorate your home for special occasions! What occasion do you find the most fun to decorate for and why?
I just love decorating my home for Christmas. I’ve always loved Christmas so much and dreamed of having a home that I could really go to town with so I do just that! In my head I want it to be like the house from the movie 'Home Alone' and I think our house really lends itself to classic Christmas decor. It’s so cosy and festive when it’s all decorated, I love it so much.
7. With entertainment being such a huge part of your life, what would be your top tips for entertaining friends and family at home?
As you say, I’ve been in entertainment all my life and come from a very musical family. Most of our mutual friends are in entertainment so whenever we have dinner parties and gatherings the entertainment seems to naturally flow. Getting the right music for the group of people you’re entertaining is key as that’s always what gets people in the best mood and stirs up the best memories. Our home is also very homely and welcoming so people always feel very at home at ours which I love.
8. What advice would you give to someone who wants to create a stylish family home?
I think interiors is such a personal thing and you really have to find the style that works for you. If styling your home doesn’t come naturally to you, the easiest way to find what you love is to look at Pinterest, home magazines and blogs and save pictures of what you like. Once you know your style and find a few shops or websites you love it will be easy!
9. What are your future plans for your home design?
We’ve lived in our home for almost 10 years now so I’m starting to work my way around each room and give it a little tweak and freshen it up a little. I just love the feeling of transforming a room so it gets kind of addictive. I love our home so we will continue to love it and grow with it.
10. Finally, name 3 RSG products that you love!
I am absolutely thrilled with our new Nero Black Metal Bar Stools. They have totally transformed our kitchen which is the heart of our home. I also have my eye on the Giant Full-Length Mirror With Gold Surround, it’s a real statement piece and would work perfectly in our hallway.
I also love the gorgeous little accessories that really help to add the finishing touch to a room. I’ve just bought the Amber Tinted Glass Soap Dispenser Bottle and the Small Brass Wall Shelf for my new bathroom and they really help finish it off.
- I am happiest when…I’m at home chilling watching a movie with my family.
- My favourite magazine is…Stylist. Such a fab magazine for women.
- My dream holiday would be…The next place I’d love to visit is the Maldives.
- My ideal day would be spent….'Brunching' with friends, a family walk in the woods with my boys and dinner with a box set marathon with my husband.
- My personal motto is…Take each day as it comes and try and embrace the small pleasures in life.
- My guilty pleasure is…Trash tv and ice lollies.
- The last film I saw was…Joker.
- My favourite podcast is…Table Manners with Jessie Ware
- In five years’ time, I want to be…As happy as I am today.
- The three things I can’t live without are…My family, my home and my sanity!
Thank you Kimberley! We thoroughly enjoyed our 10 mins with you!