10 Mins With Rockett St George Co-Founder, Lucy St George
Discover our interview with businesswoman, Lucy St George the co-founder of online homeware store, Rockett St George, author of two books and interior design expert!
About Lucy St George
Not only is Lucy our amazing Rockett St George co-founder, but she is also a mother, treasure hunter, ex-florist and all-around interiors extraordinaire! Lucy and her family moved into an Edwardian Semi in North London just over two years ago and with a lot of hard work (and a little bit of Lucy magic!) they have transformed the property into a stunning curation of treasured items that have been collected over the years from their travels and car-boot sales, styled with a rock 'n' roll edge. The finishing result is a testament to Lucy's creative eye and she has successfully created a home that is bursting with unique personality.
Moreover, because it is Rockett St George's fourteenth year, what better way to learn more about our co-founder than with an interview with Lucy St George herself, along with having a little snoop around her wonderful home?! So, read below to discover our 10 mins with interview with Lucy St George!
1. Let’s start at the very beginning. You launched Rockett St George with co-founder, Jane Rockett, back in 2007. What inspired you to start your own interiors business?
Products Featured: Unframed After The Disco Art Print.
"Being shopaholics and "treasure hunters" we were always sourcing items for friends and selling online, we would make one person very happy but disappointed three when the item sold. Whatsmore, we realised that friends and customers had an appetite for unique quirky items that are not found on the high street."
2.What featured in Rockett St George’s first collection? Name one item that is particularly significant to you.
"The first collection was very different from our current range. One of our first items that were new to the market was our wall sticker designs. We had a very cool range of stickers in floral designs and so we were thrilled when one of the stickers was featured in Vogue Magazine."
3.You and your family live in beautiful North London in an Edwardian semi. Describe your home to us in three words.
"Sociable, Durable, Full."
4.Which room in your home is your favourite? What was the interior inspiration behind the decor?
Products Featured: 70's Inspired Black Round Dining Table
"I love my office, I tend to go for a block colour on the walls and then add brighter colours and textures to my interior with the use of lighting and accessories. On top of this, furniture, artwork and accessories offer a fantastic opportunity to play around with your style and express your individuality. It's also a great way to experiment with a more maximalist look by matching or clashing patterns and embracing bold colours on a smaller scale."
"Something as simple as a new light, cushion or piece of art can have a transformative effect on your space. The white walls make accessories pop, bright colours sing and plants glow, and these dramatic hues are the perfect backdrop for my working day, plus I am surrounded by a collection of treasures, that make me feel happy and inspire me. And every so often the sunlight hits my large disco ball, it's magical and combines two of my favourite things - sunshine and disco!"
5. Where do you shop for your amazing homeware, artwork and ornaments?
"I love unique items so I am always on eBay, flea markets, car boot sales and online shopping is great for framed artwork."
6. For someone who is thinking of redecorating, what are your top 3 interior tips for a beautiful home?
Products Featured: Craig & Rose 1829 Chalky Emulsion Paint - Zeitgeist, Floral Bouquet Velvet Cushion.
Lighting: "This is key, this can make or break a room's feel. So, if you get this right you then you can create a multi-functional room."
Storage: "Good storage is a must. It hides the pieces that you don't want on show."
Paint Colours: "Go dark. Once you try it you will want to paint every room with a dark hue."
7.We all love a good party at Rockett St George and you are the Queen of Hosting, what are your top tips for hosting a memorable evening?
Products Featured: Filigree Tin Tile
"It's always good to have a theme and get your guests involved. This and starting and ending the evening with shots, usually ensures that everyone has a good time!"
8. What do you think will be hot in homewares in SS21?
"After the events of the past 12 months, our homes have had to work harder than ever. I think 2021 is about making yourself feel good at home. From being a sanctuary for rest and relaxation to creating a functional space for school and work, as well as providing a place that helps lift our spirits and escape from it all. Moreover, while storage and other practical concerns are of course important to find a place for everything, surrounding yourself with vintage furniture that tells a story, personal photos on the wall and quirky art prints or accessories that add humour, helps to instantly boost your mood. So this is where I feel personality and maximalism really pays off."
"There is something incredibly comforting about being surrounded by all of your favourite things, which is why personality will never go out of style. Additionally, the notion of ‘good taste’ is overrated so if you love it and it makes you smile, then it deserves to be celebrated in your home!"
9. Tell us one exciting thing that's happening for RSG 2021?
"We are launching our own brand sofa range, handmade in the UK and in a choice of lovely fabrics and colours. We are thrilled to offer a bespoke range of sofas that we just know that our customers will love."
10. Finally, name 3 New RSG products that you love and tell us why it had to be on the RSG website?!
Quick Fire Questions
- I am happiest when… I'm at a car boot sale, usually, there are a few of the female St George generations there, with the thrill of finding a unique item, a bargain teamed with a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich! Lucy heaven: family, food, shopping!
- My favourite magazine is… Living Etc for interiors, Grazia for gossip and Vogue for fashion.
- My dream holiday would be… Costa Rica
- My ideal day would be spent…. at a spa. I don't do it very often but I do love a good pamper / relaxation.
- My personal motto is… without sounding naff, YOLO! This focuses you to just go for it and not worry too much.
- My guilty pleasure(s) are... Too many to list!
- The last film I saw was… Lion. Amazing Film.
- What's your signature dish? A Greek meze I love a table laden with salads, dips, bread and kebabs of course all in RSG lovely tableware and bowls.
- Where is your dream holiday destination....I love visiting new places and would go anywhere, as long as its sunny !!
- The three things I can’t live without are… Friends, Family, and Food. I Iove them equally.
If you enjoyed this interview with Lucy St George, you may also like...