July you absolute gem!
July tops the list as one of our favourite months. Summer is well and truly here, schools out, we are spoiled with long glorious evenings and we've included our round-up of the best things to see, do and more so that you don't miss out on any of the hot stuff! This month we've lined up the hottest design festivals and fairs to visit, a fabulous rooftop bar to dine alfresco at, our top 10 tips for a summer garden party bash and a boozy BBQ playlist!
Now, if you think July couldn't get any better, prepare for us to rock your world! This month we've teamed up with the iconic designer brand, Lulu Guinness, to give you the chance to WIN a Lulu Guinness Handbag, Purse, Om Mudra Hand Table and RSG vouchers all for one lucky winner! All you have to do is answer one simple question and enter the competition below to be in for a chance to win! How bloody amazing is that?!
Have a fabulous month!
Jane, Lucy and the RSG Team x
This month we've teamed up with the fabulous and iconic fashion accessories designer brand, Lulu Guinness, to offer you our biggest and best hot list prize ...Ever! As part of the Lulu Guinness AW18 collection, Lulu Guinness is offering one lucky winner the chance to WIN a Large Valentina handbag with Lulu Guinness Stripe Continental wallet, and we have included our gorgeous RSG own-design Om Mudra Hand Table PLUS a £100 gift voucher to spend at RSG! How amazing is that?!
Curators of all things beautiful, Lulu Guinness was founded in 1989 with the concept of a briefcase for women which morphed into an idea for vintage style rose basket bags, Lulu's intention was always to be slightly outré and push boundaries. Critical acclaim and praise from leading fashion industry figures was instantaneous, paving the way for Lulu Guinness stores as far afield as Shanghai and Taiwan as well as London. Her iconic designs have surpassed the role of mere fashion accessories. The Collectable bags have been described as 'tomorrow's treasures', becoming permanent fixtures in museums worldwide. The Florist Basket is in the permanent fashion collection at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London and has also been exhibited in Sotheby's London and New York. Lulu is the living, breathing personification of her brand: You will never catch her without her trademark red lipstick. The central motif, the distinctive Dali-esque lips clutch, remains the brand's staple accessory, transporting the Surrealist art movement into the mainstream popular culture.
To be in for the chance to win the designer Lulu Guinness Large Valentina handbag and Lulu Guinness Stripe Continental wallet, along with our RSG own-design Om Mudra Hand Table and a £100 RSG gift voucher, simply click the link above and answer one simple question!*
Dining alfresco has got to be one of our favourite foodie activities! A wonderful way to get you in the summer mood, we like to dine outdoors as much as possible to soak in the sun and it's a great way to spend your evening in good company, with good food and great wine!
A new hot alfresco dining spot that we've found in London is The Culpeper Rooftop which has had a summer revamp and redesign to mark the start of summer. PICULPEPER has landed at The Culpeper Rooftop in collaboration with London based Studio Stilton. With a super quirky theme of preservation with a hint of provocation, the rooftop restaurant and bar never takes itself too seriously! With a rooftop garden that they grow and serve vegetables from, The Culpeper Rooftop is part of a four storey, pub, kitchen and hotel! With a delectable menu of sharing dishes, Pan-Fried Cod, Confit Pork Belly and sweet delicious pudding. With an extensive drinks menu, this is a one-stop extravaganza!
What's more, if great food, drink and rooftop scenic views of London isn't enough, The Culpeper will be hosting a number of events and workshops throughout the summer for you to get involved with. Choices range from Botanical Drawing, How To Grow, Conserve and Pickle a Cucumber and Rooftop Astronomy! A really fun base to stay, eat and drink at, we highly recommend stopping by at The Culpeper if you find yourself in London this July!
"Creativity is mistakes"
The film that we have been waiting for has finally been released!!!
Redefining British fashion for the past 40 years, Dame Vivienne Westwood is a hilariously reluctant but intriguing subject in Lorna Tucker's new documentary first previewed at the Sundance Film Festival. A rich narrative documenting the inspiring life of Dame Vivienne Westwood, the film reveals her passions and motivations that has dictated her career. A somewhat controversial film, that Dame Vivienne Westwood and her son have denounced ... the initial motivations of the film was to focus on her activism, artistry and cultural significance as a designer which Westwood and her son have commented was overlooked.
Whatever conclusions you may draw from this new film we are super intrigued and so we'll be setting one evening aside this July to watch this controversial new documentary. Check out the trailer below:
Available to view on one of our favourite film companies website, Curzon Home Cinema, (psst ... you get a free film when you sign up), why not host a summer screening and make an evening of it!?
As die-hard creatives at RSG, there is nothing that we love more than perusing and shopping at flea markets and carboot sales as well as broadening our horizons by exploring festival on our weekends off. A heavenly activity, this July there are so many to visit and choose from so we've rounded up our top 3 festivals and fairs that you simply cannot miss!
'The future is not something that happens to us. But something we have to shape in line with our values'. Exploring what the future will look like for us as well as how we can change and shape it Futurefest is quite literally a forward-thinking festival that will leave you with a fresh and renewed perspective and optimism about whats to come. A two day festival in London, choose between a choice of debates, talks and performances. Highlights include, 'Food 2030: Urban Foraging', 'Urban futures: designing for uncertainty' and 'Occupational Futures'.
When? Friday 6th - Saturday 7th of July 2018.
Where? Tobacco Dock, London
If you love a vintage flea market then the East London Vintage Furniture Flea is for you! A celebration of mid-century living from the 50s and beyond, the event offers up 50 TOP vintage traders, all offering furniture and homewares without costing the earth! With traders travelling down to the capital from all over the UK the variety of vintage pieces that you can get your hands on range from furniture, lighting, record players, cocktail glasses, posters, magazines, children's toys and more!
When? Every Saturday in July
Where? Various locations in London.
Handmade beautiful ceramics are readily available at the Turning Earth Ceramic fair! An open-access members’ ceramics studio that is accessible to anyone - from total beginners to professional artists - throughout June and early July, makers from Turning Earth will be selling their work during our pop-up at the new Hoxton Square Market for Farmers and Makers. Over the first six weeks of the market, 15 ceramicists from our East London studios will sell their work alongside other local crafters, artisanal food producers, street food vendors, and local breweries. A family-friendly fair, there'll also be live music and entertainment for kids to enjoy too! A brilliant opportunity to get your hands on authentic and one-off ceramics we highly recommend checking it out!
When? Saturday, July 7th 2018
Where? Hoxton Square Market, London.
Darlings, if there's one thing that we do well, it's PARTY! Summer soirees, Christmas in July parties, pop-up parties, Christmas parties, birthday parties ... any excuse to throw a big bash and we'll do it! So as we are treated to lighter and warmer evenings it's the perfect time of year to host a summer party! So to help you host the ultimate summer garden party bash, we've curated our top 10 tips for summer party perfection...
- Make an entrance! Set the tone as soon as your guests enter and dress your garden to impress. AT RSG we love maximalism and so the more decorations the better! We always find that opting for a theme or colour scheme helps us to focus our styling and always recommend styling in odd numbers for a magical effect! Fun summer party themes include a Christmas in July Party, Moroccan Medina Soiree, Botanical BBQ Bliss, TFIF Celebrations ... there really is no end to the themes and ideas you can choose!
- Food, food and more food! An olive and bread bar, BBQ bites, halloumi chips, guac and crisps on the go ... in our opinion you can never have enough food! It's no secret that we are all foodies at RSG and we love a variety of options to nibble at! A super easy way to cater your Summer Soiree is to get the BBQ burning and create a large spread or tablescape with sharing platters and breadboards filled with delicious dishes for your guests to pick at they please. Its a low maintenance alternative to a sit-down meal and is guaranteed to keep everyone happy!
- Booze Bars. Why have one bar when you can have 2 or 3 or even 4?! Dot tables or makeshift bars around your garden for your guests to get boozy from! You could even theme each bar with a different liqueur, so you could have a Pimms Station, Gin & Tonic stop-by and a cocktail corner!
- Activities. Games and fun activities are fun for both the adults and the kids so we highly recommend some interactive activities to keep everyone entertained! At our recent housewarming party at Liberty London we had a glitter station and Instagram booth for everyone to get involved with.
- Ice, Ice baby! It's summer so things will be expectedly hot, so keep plenty of ice coolers and buckets dotted around the party to keep your wine and beers chilled at the perfect temp. We also recommend investing in some overhead cover so that your guests can find respite in the shade. Hot in this week is our new Boho Beaded Garden Umbrella which will add a little bohemia to your garden.
- I bet that you look good on the dancefloor! Create a make-shift dance floor or area for your guests to let loose and show off their best moves. Once we've had a few drinks we all love a good boogie!
- Sit in style! Of course, you'll need plenty of seating to give your guests a chance to rest their feet after dancing. If you don't have enough chairs, consider layering rugs on the floor with cushions and pouffes for a Moroccan medina vibe! Alternatively, you could pick up some wooden palettes and create extra DIY seating - check out our blog for our ideas on how to create this look.
- Sunset Essentials! Once the sun goes down and the party is in full swing, it's time to bring the throws and blankets out! The temperature can suddenly dip once it gets dark so get ahead of the game and keep plenty around for your chilly guests!
- Don't forget the lights! Once the sun is down you'll need an alternative light source ... so get creative! We love festoon lights hanging from the trees, lanterns and candles and tea lights on tables for a warm party glow!
- Playlist. Obviously, you're going to need a rocking playlist to really set the mood, so scroll down for more!
For more inspiration, check out our Pinterest Board Summer Party Prep:
Embrace the summer with our Boozy BBQ Bangers!!!
- Am I Wrong - Nico & Vinz
- Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz
- Brimfield of Asha, The Norman Cook Remix - Cornershop
- Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis
- Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
- Song 2 - Blur
- How You Like Me Now - The Heavy
- Can't Stop - The Red Hot Chill Peppers
- Never Miss A Beat - Kaiser Chiefs
- Common People - Pulp
- And more, on our Spotify Playlist