How To Choose The Right Lighting For Your Home
Good lighting is integral to creating a happy home. So, let's light it up in style!
It's worth taking time to consider the needs, functions and style of each room in your home to make the very most of your lighting. Whether you're looking for lighting in your Kitchen, Bathroom or large spaces in your house or you're after mood lighting to set the tone there's so much to consider when buying lighting for your home. Moreover, we have some fabulous floor lamps, cool desk lamps, stylish table lamps, and more to help you instantly elevate the look of your space. See below for 6 great tips to help you choose how to light any space.
Before You Start - Consider The Function Of Your Room
First, things first you've got to consider the function of your room.
If you are looking for lighting for your kitchens and bathrooms then functional lighting is a must. But don't worry... Just because it's functional doesn't mean it can't be beautiful too!
However, for your hallways, living areas and bedrooms you can really go mad with your ceiling pendant lights, wall lights and chandeliers and so we have some great ideas for creating impact for your home in our next few sections.
In Chapter 5 of the Rockett St George book, Extraordinary Interiors, Jane and Lucy recommend writing down on a piece of paper all the uses of the room that you are choosing lighting for as well as what mood you want to create in the space. Make sure you sit down to do this before you start as it can really help you to focus and hone down on what lighting you need for the room in question.
Read on to discover our top tips for lighting each room of your home...
No 1. Lighting For Your Kitchen.
Whether you have a large kitchen or a small kitchen, good task lighting is absolutely essential. Here are our top tips for choosing kitchen lighting:
- Opt for directional lighting that boosts illumination of your work surfaces and kitchen lighting. We think that hanging three pendant ceiling lights over your kitchen island is an aesthetically pleasing look that is also incredibly practical too.
- Wall lights are also another great choice for your kitchens too. Consider investing in wall lights with an anglepoise shade so that you can direct the light down to the required area.
No 2. Lighting For Your Bathroom
The most important aspect to consider when choosing lighting for your bathroom is that it's safe to use for your bathroom. So here are our top tips to choose lighting for your bathroom:
- The EU safety standards state that bathroom lighting is fully encased to avoid shorting and electrical shots. It also needs to be double insulated with the bulb and metal parts covered. Remember to always look out for a minimum IP44 rating light when shopping for bathroom lighting.
- Candlelight is a great bathroom lighting choice for creating mood, atmosphere and a luxury hotel or spa-like feeling. So, instead of bright overhead bathroom lighting, why not opt for lots of candlelight instead? This will bring soft and calming light to the space, so you can relax in an atmospheric setting.
- If you are determined to add statement chandeliers and lighting to your bathroom then another simple solution would be to not wire them into the ceiling. A statement chandelier hung over the bath, even without a light bulb looks really impactful.
No 3. Lighting For Bedrooms & Living Spaces
Typically living rooms, bedrooms and guest rooms are spaces where you want to be calm and peaceful and so you've got to invest in mood lighting to create this effect. Our top tips for living spaces and bedroom lighting include:
- Go all out with Table and Floor Lights. We'd actually recommend avoiding using overhead lighting altogether in your living room and bedrooms and instead stick with lots of table and floor lights - the perfect creative lighting to make a cosy and intimate atmosphere. Opt for directional and angled floor lights and table lights next to your armchairs or bedside tables so that you can move them around when you are reading or on your laptop or Ipad.
- Wall Lights are another great choice for your living rooms. Great focal lighting you can angle wall lights to illuminate your artwork and mirrors. Alternatively, you could style two wall lights on either side of your bed as alternative bedside table lighting. This is a particularly good trick for smaller spaces, creating the illusion of more space.
- Fairy Lights have a magical effect on your interiors. So drape them over your mirrors and artwork or down your staircase to create sparkly pockets of light in your home.
No.4. Make Art of Your Lighting
Decorative lighting will create wow-factor in the home, so don't forget to add in some statement lighting. Whether it be an animal lamp or an unusual floor lamp such as our Palm Tree Lamp, there are so many quirky-cool lamps that you can choose from to instantly elevate the look of your space. It's amazing what small pools of light can do to transform your living space.
- For your dining room consider creating impact with a statement chandelier hanging above the table. It will draw the eye upwards which elongates the room, not forgetting the fact that it's incredibly beautiful too. Jane Rockett, co-founder of Rockett St George, number 1 tip is to install a dimmer switch for every light you have. So when choosing a statement chandelier be sure to include a dimmer switch so that you can adjust the level of lighting from business-like to intimate at the flick of a switch!
- Opt for a spectacular and decorative wall light. Wall lights are no longer functional pieces and there is so much choice out there for art wall lights that will take your breath away. In fact, we have a beautiful Art Deco Shell Wall Light that looks so beautiful even when it's not lit.
- Neon lighting is a fun alternative to traditional lighting. Great as part of your picture or gallery wall, if you want to make a statement in your home then neon lighting is for you.
No.5. Lighting For Small Spaces
If you live in a small flat or apartment or are looking to illuminate a small room then there are a few tricks of the trade to help you make the best use of your small space. From quirky lighting such as an industrial floor lamp or tripod floor lamp, there are so many ways you can use clever lighting in the corners of your room.
- Wall lighting is a clever way to create the illusion of a larger room. In particular, up-lighting wall lights will draw the eye upwards and make you think that a room is taller than it is. Wall lighting also has the added bonus of keeping your side tables clear, creating a less cluttered feeling. Again, this will create a feeling of a larger space.
- Ceiling and Pendant Lights are a genius at opening up your small rooms. Opt for a statement ceiling light to add a sense of grand drama to your room and you could even go one step further and opt for a glass or mirrored ceiling shade which will bounce light and create more space in your home.
- Tall Floor Lights are another great way of creating space. As before, they draw the eye upwards and are great at adding light in corners and nooks.
No.6. Lighting For Big Spaces
If you are looking for lighting for a room with high ceilings (lucky you) or a lot of space then there a few tricks to make an impact or alternatively cosier.
- Go all the way with a large and impactful statement ceiling light. We love a statement light as its a fantastic interior design trick to step your interiors up a level. Because you are working with a larger space you can be quite adventurous and opt for an oversized and flamboyant chandelier or shade that really wows.
- Create zones in your large room. If you want to create a cosier, more intimate space create zones within a room for maximum impact. For example create one zone with your chaise longue, floor light and a lovely patterned rug and section off another part of your room with your sofa, side tables and decorative ornaments.
- Invest in a few beautiful table lamps and dot them around the space to create little pockets of lights around the room. It creates an ultra-cosy feel in the home using the power of beautiful light.
And there you have it - all of our top tips in one easy place.
Other posts you may like to read include:
If you liked this post please feel free to comment and share. We look forward to seeing your homes on Facebook and Instagram - use our hashtag #rockettstgeorge.