Moving home is always an exciting experience, but if you don't have the budget or the time, then improve, don't move!
As co-founder, Jane Rockett aptly puts it - 'When the going gets tough, the tough get decorating'. At a time of political unrest and general uncertainty in the housing market. We're saying don't move, improve.
Improving the home you live in will not only transform the way your home feels, but it will also add value to your property, meaning that when or if you move you'll hopefully get a better deal! So we've put our heads together and come up with your top tips and ideas to update and improve your home interiors.
IMPROVE YOUR HOME ON A BUDGET
The home of fashion and lifestyle influencer, Lorna Luxe. Read her 10 Mins With Interview here.
If you're on a very limited budget, then do not despair there is still lots that can be done to improve your living environment that won't break the bank.
De-Clutter and Move Your Furniture Around
As simple as it may seem, having a good old clear out and moving your furniture around can be life-changing. Plus it has the added bonus of being completely free!
At the moment we are addicted to the Netflix Series - Tidying Up With Marie Kondo - and she's inspired us to get clearing! Her method is simple. When clearing out your living spaces, feel each item and ask yourself if you love it. If the answer is 'no' then thank the item and give it away, donate it or recycle it. It's a great way to create feng shui in the home which is an ancient art of energy and flows.
If you have half-used cans of paint or unused wallpaper or know anyone who does, the give your furniture a facelift! Upcycle your old cabinets, kitchen units, the insides of your drawers or your bedroom furniture. For tips on how to upcycle your furniture check out our two blogs - DIY Hand Painted Furniture Ideas and 5 Alternative Ideas For Upcycling With Wallpaper.
Buy Some Dye!
An old school trick that can make a dramatic difference to your home. Gather up your old sheets, unloved cushions and throws and dye them in on-trend colours to give your home a little lift!
I AM PREPARED TO SPEND, BUT I'M NO ROCKAFELLA!
First of all, put together a plan. It's an essential first step that will help you create a unifying and personal home. So, don't skip it!
We suggest focusing on rooms that you use a lot so that you feel the benefit of your changes:
Update Your Kitchen
There are a few subtle changes in the kitchen that will make all the difference to your kitchen decor.
- Change your cupboard and cabinet doors. It revitalises your cabinets and cupboards in an instant and the effect on your entire kitchen is actually quite dramatic without breaking the bank! We have a number of quirky animal door knobs and handles that might just be perfect for you.
- If you don't want to replace your doorknobs and handles then you could alternatively paint them! Because these utility pieces are typically small you will probably only need a sample paint pot for this which will save the pennies for other projects!
- A more dramatic, but relatively inexpensive alternative is to lose the cupboards! Instead, replace the cupboards with open shelving units. This is a particularly useful trick for smaller kitchens as it will make your kitchen feel larger and more spacious. Not forgetting the fact, that its an opportunity to get creative with your kitchen display!
Refresh Your Sitting Room
The beauty of refreshing your lounge or living room is that it can be done incredibly inexpensively.
- Cushions, throws and rugs. Simply incorporating textures into your living room can make such a difference. To really create impact opt for a patterned or colourful velvet cushion that will catch your eye as soon as you walk into a room. We have a number of lovely cushions that are perfect for this. Our particular favourites being the Beaded Cushion Collection which add glitz, glam and disco fun to your home decor.
- Mood Lighting. Get in the mood with the help of beautiful lighting. To create an intimate and relaxed setting in your home avoid using overhead mains lighting which can cast a room in a blanket of light. Instead opt for accent and mood lighting using table lights, floor lamps and wall lights. If you are looking for lighting inspiration, we have some lovely lights at Rockett St George.
- Candlelight. The ultimate mood lighting, candlelight will create a warm and atmospheric feeling with its flickering light. Not to mention, of course, that scented candles will add a beautiful smell into your living space giving it a new lease of life!
- Cocktail Corner. Embrace your inner Lucy St George (the ultimate cocktail queen) and create a cocktail corner. Using a fabulous drinks trolley or side table, fill it up with your favourite boozy beverages and glassware.
- Focus On Creating a Relaxation Space. Don't focus your living room around your TV. It's a living room after all, where the family relax and hang out. So focus on creating a social space.
When it comes to the bathroom there are a few quick fixes that are incredibly effective for revamping your home.
- New shower curtains, bathmat and towels. Don't have the money to re-tile or repaint your bathroom?! No worries! Simply switching up your shower curtains, towels and bathmats is an effective and immediate change that will make your bathroom feel like new.
- Treat yourself to a bathroom set. Our cosmetics, lotions and potions may be useful and beauty essentials but the bottles can so often be unattractive. So, fill your soap into a soap dispenser, fill vintage apothecary jars with cotton wool and earbuds and just get a little creative with your bathroom storage. We promise you won't regret it! We have some beautiful recycled glass jars with a fun twist at Rockett St George that would be perfect for bathroom storage.
- Stylish bins. An essential item turned beautiful it is the little things that count!
- Bleach your grouting or using a grouting pen. A simple and effective way of updating your bathroom in no time!
- Update Your Bedhead. Drape a throw or Moroccan blanket over your bedhead to create a new look. Alternatively, you could create a make-shift headboard by pinning a gorgeous patterned rug to your walls above the bed. It's an easy way to add texture to your interiors, ideally for creating a cosy and relaxing boudoir.
- Sink into soft bed linen. New bedding is an instant self-care win! We love how new cotton or linen sheets make you smile every night. We have some luxury bed linen at Rockett St George that will revolutionise your world.
- New Pillows. Invest in new pillows. It's life-changing!
- Storage, storage, storage! Although storage might sound a little boring, take it from us that it will significantly improve your life. Start by de-cluttering and invest in good storage throughout the whole house. There are so many beautiful stylish storage solutions out there to choose from that will enhance your interiors. We have some gorgeous baskets, storage racks and unique shelving units that will look simply beautiful in your home.
MEGA BUCKS - LET'S GO FOR IT
If you want to overhaul your interiors and are happy to go all out then - plan, research and go for it!
The Rockett St George book, Extraordinary Interiors, written by Jane Rockett and Lucy St George covers how to overhaul your interiors and create a personal home at great length. But, here are some easy tips for you to make sure you cover:
- There's No Rush! Yes, redesigning and renovating your home is damn good fun, but there's no need to rush. Take time to plan and be careful not to influenced by fickle trends.
- Describe Your Style. Write down words that you would use to describe your personal style. For example, cool, quirky, modern, alternative. If you're not sure, then take a look at your wardrobe. This is a quick snapshot of your style that will help you refine your look and style.
- What Makes You Happy? On the same piece of paper write down what makes you happy and comforted. The list should include everything from friends, family, smells, colours - the list is endless.
- Next is feeling. How do you want the room that you are renovating to make you feel? For many, the living room is somewhere where you want to feel calm and relaxed, whilst in the kitchen, you may want to feel energised and inspired.
- Activities. Finally, write down the activities that you will be doing in the room. This sounds obvious, such as cooking in the kitchen and sleeping in the bedroom. But, the functional parts of interior design should always be top of mind.
- Get Researching. Once you have your refined list, it's time to research. So explore your favourite stores, flea markets and antique fairs
LET'S BUILD - WE NEED MORE SPACE
Sometimes in interiors, you've got to bring in the experts!
Whilst, every house extension is unique to you and your families individual needs, here are some useful things to bear in mind:
- Get on Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram. The internet is full of a wealth of information to inspire you and to work out what you want. It's the fun-part so search by hashtag and really get lost in the sea of inspiration that is out there.
- Focus On What You Love. Once you are feeling inspired, create a mood board and focus on the aspects of each image that you love. Whether its open-plan living spaces that keep popping up on your Pinterest board or spectacular skylights. Really hone in on what you want.
- The Essentials. Then, concentrate on what you need. It's the practical, but very essential part. So create a list of your essential-musts in terms of space.
- Add value. If you are investing in an extension for your home then it's worth considering what value it will add to your house price when and if you decide to sell.
- Get The Experts In. And finally, talk to a good architect and let them do their magic. They are the experts at the end of the day and will help you create the home of your dreams.