Wonderfully positive, fabulous and inspirational...
...we talk to the amazing Natalie Lee (@stylemesunday) about feeling confident and finding your personal style.
It's no surprise that we adore Natalie's style and the 'be YOU' message that she spreads in everything she does. With her brand new book out 'Feeling Myself,' we were thrilled to talk to Natalie about growing, learning and happiness. As such, we also chat to Nat about how this translates into her interior style too. We hope you love this interview as much as we do, truly inspiring!
See below to discover the full interview...
1. Let’s start at the very beginning, tell us about yourself and where your love for interiors started?
My home is my sanctuary, it’s the place I get to hide away from the world in. It has to be welcoming and comfortable. Aesthetics have always been very important me. Slowly over the years I have made it more and more to my liking.
2. You're absolutely amazing at expressing yourself, whether it be through interiors, fashion or advocating for being YOU. What advice would you give to someone looking to find their personal style?
Be bold. Don’t compromise by dumbing down your taste. That’s when everything tends to just look like everything else. It’s only paint, it can be painted over. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, it’s all part of the process of finding what truly sets your soul on fire.
3. Your home is full of colour, pattern and all-out fabulous corners, what are you drawn to when shopping for your scheme?
Anything and everything. As you know, love colour. I love texture and animal print. I adore anything with a 70’s vibe. Palm Springs has been my heart’s decor vibe for quite a few years now.
4. We’re so excited to read your new book ‘Feeling Myself’ - can you tell us a bit more about it?
Eeeeeek. It’s my heart in a book. It’s raw and vulnerable and at times not easy to read. But it does get lighter as you read on. It’s all about releasing shame, especially sexual shame imposed on women from many different angles. I want to help women feel free, like I do now.
5. We love the messages that you share with your Instagram audience and beyond, it’s so important and brilliant to see! What inspired you to encourage positivity and self-love on your platform?
I heal and grow through learning and understanding more about myself. And I don’t want to be a gatekeeper of the new knowledge and enlightenment I’m having. I want to share it with the world. If it helps people think and question previously unconscious thoughts that have held them back or minimised them then I’m happy.
6. How did you go about designing each beautiful corner of your home to make it personal, fun and bursting with colour?
I set the tone or the vibe (as I like to call it) first. We often make the mistake of making the room fit around stuff we already have. What ends up happening is that it’s a mishmash of styles and doesn’t come together quite as well as if you start by saying how you’d like to feel in that room first. And then making sure the different aspects fit with that feeling. I often take things from different rooms and re-position them if it’s not working where they are or if I think they would suit a different theme better.
7. What do you feel makes a happy and welcoming space at home?
Anything that has personality and heart. You can tell if someone has put their own unique soul and energy into that space. I love seeing how that’s expressed through their home.
8. Do you have a favourite piece or art, object or memento that brings joy to your home and why is it meaningful to you?
I recently had a painting of me done by the artist Louise Dear - it’s incredible. It will always be a life-affirming moment when I discovered I had inspired her to paint me.
9. Where is your happy place in your home and what makes you love spending time in it?
Hmmmmmm everywhere. But probably my favourite is my green-drenched living room. It feels me with love, calmness and vitality.
10. Finally, name three new Rockett St George products that you love!
- Smiley Floor Lamp - This lamp fills me with joy.
- Corinthian Column Dark Green Vase - Most green things, I want. Love the drama with this oversized vase.
- Silky Black Shower Curtain - This shower curtain is great for giving your bathroom a luxe feel without a huge expense.
Quick Fire Questions
1. I am happiest when…swimming naked in the sea.
2. My favourite podcast is…Esther Perel’s Where should we begin?
3. My dream holiday would be… That’s so hard. There are so many places I wanted to visit. Anywhere with an uninterrupted sea view and a beautiful sunset.
4. My ideal day would be spent….If not on holiday. At home with my kids and my love. Pottering around the gardening as the sun shines on us. Having a bbq for dinner and listening to the smooth vocal tones of Cleo Sol.
5. My personal motto is…You are already whole and complete.
6. My guilty pleasure is…reality tv. Although I really don’t feel any guilt about anything I enjoy.
7. The last film I saw was…
8. My favourite book is…Mine. Ha. No, it’s How To Do The Work by Dr Nicole LePera
9. In five years’ time, I want to be…As content and happy as I am today.
10. The three things I can’t live without are…Coffee, the people I love, and red lipstick. My favourite is Quite The Standout by Mac Cosmetics.