The January Hot List 2021
The best things to brighten up the first month of 2021...
It's safe to say we have had a crazy year! So, in the month of January, it's time for new beginnings and lovely experiences for all. From revamping your home to learning a new skill online, there are plenty of things to keep you happy and busy at home in the new year. Whatsmore, we have teamed with the magnificent Middleton Lodge Estate, to offer a wonderful treat your self competition prize for two, the perfect getaway to look forward to. Finally, however you are spending the first month of this year, we hope that we can bring some positive vibes to your interiors, lifestyle and much more!
Stay safe and lots of love,
Jane, Lucy and The Rockett St George Team x
Win: A Stay At Middleton Lodge Estate - An Exciting Future Treat
We all could do with something glorious to look forward to! So with January upon us, we’re giving you the chance to get away from it all and escape to Middleton Lodge, an enchanting country estate in North Yorkshire. This rambling Georgian estate with its honey-coloured sandstone buildings, productive walled gardens and views across parkland to distant hills is the perfect place to blow away the cobwebs and get in some serious R&R.
Lovingly restored and independently owned, the estate remains a family home and is certainly one to watch. Every time we go back, there is something new, it really is the most idyllic country getaway. Showcasing productive walled gardens and orchards which supply the kitchens with delicious produce and 200 acres of parkland views across the Yorkshire countryside, there is plenty to explore and fall in love with at Middleton Lodge Estate.
A wonderfully relaxed restaurant that uses fresh vegetables from the kitchen gardens, the Coach House is a glorious place to spend your evening. Think beetroot cured salmon, lobster and béarnaise, steaks and hearty weekend roasts. On top of this, they’ve recently put a stretch tent over the Coach House courtyard for cosy alfresco meals complete with twinkly lights and a large fire pit. This is the perfect spot for socially distanced socialising! Whatsmore, you won’t want to miss the botanical cocktails, we recommend the Thyme Negroni.
For something a little fancier, look out for the pop up fine dining restaurant Forge for the exquisite tasting menu with matched wine flights.
From the Dairy to the Coach House and Walled Garden to the recently restored Orchard, the old stone buildings have been converted into individually designed bedrooms featuring ravishing roll-top tin baths, rough stone walls, and big old timber beams.
Even better, a few of these fabulous rooms have their own tin hot tubs and wood-burning stoves. There’s even a Farmhouse with 6 bedrooms for larger groups (perfect for your next celebration...when we’re allowed). Moreover, the 16 bedroom Palladian Main House remains a private family home but is available to hire for photoshoots, one-off events and exclusive weddings. You won't want to miss the brick-vaulted cellar bar if you are here for a special occasion!
Finally, at the Treatment Rooms, the talented therapists will massage away all those stresses and strains using organic seaweed and gorgeous botanical products. So what's not to love?!
We are thrilled to offer one lucky reader the chance to win a stay at Middleton Lodge Estate - an exciting future treat!
Escape to the country for a 1-night weekday stay for two, have dinner at the Coach House, breakfast and a pamper. The relaxed, individually designed bedrooms feature sprawling comfy beds, gorgeous views and huge roll-top baths to laze in after exploring the 200-acre estate (on foot, or borrow one of the bikes provided). Did we mention the Treatment Rooms? You will be living the relaxed country dream with a treatment for two! So, no matter what tier you're currently in, enter the competition below and our lucky winner can book a future date of their choosing.
Just don’t forget your flat cap, woollies and wellies!
Click Or Tap Below For Your Chance To Win A 1-Night Stay At Middleton Lodge Estate
Psst, here’s a discount code especially for you.
Grab your pen and jot down *RSG15ML* to receive 15% off midweek winter staycations at enchanting rural retreat Middleton Lodge Estate - the perfect spot to unwind and escape.
Terms & Conditions Apply, Read Them Here.
Do: Home Improvements To Boost Your Mood
Going into a new year is the perfect excuse to make some changes to your surroundings. From the crazy year that we've had, we say, the more things that you can do improve your mood, the better! At Rockett St George, we believe that the small touches in the home make for a delightful scheme. So, see below to discover what you can do this January to create a happy and vibrant interior.
Firstly, when you are looking to revamp your interior, you must de-clutter! As they say, a tidy space equals a tidy mind and this is so crucial in your home. Even if you don't want to make a huge transformation, January is the perfect time to have a fresh start. Moreover, getting rid of unwanted clothes, furniture or gifts will make space for only things you adore in your home. So, start getting creative, you can re-gift, re-sell and donate to charity! This will ensure you have a starting point for getting organised in the new year.
Another way to de-clutter is to make sure you have the right storage for the job! We believe that no piece of furniture should be boring. Whatsmore, with our effortlessly stylish storage solutions, you need not fear the task of tidying away. From showing off your favourite glassware to hiding your clothes and knick-knacks, everyone deserves a chic cabinet that mixes functionality with dazzling design. So whether you prefer marvellously modern designs or wonderfully vintage styles, why not treat yourself to a unique piece of storage this year?!
A Lick Of Paint
A small change can make a huge difference. So, let's talk paint! A lick of paint is a fabulous way to uplift the look of any space. Moreover, in the month of January, we are bringing you our favourite paint colours for a fresh start. Even better, our ravishing Rockett St George Paint Collection is the perfect range of colours to bring an elegant charm to your room of choice. Now is the perfect time to dare to be different and go for a happy colour that will stand out beautifully amongst your decor.
A Fabulous Feature
It wouldn't be a revamp without a fabulous feature! Additionally, we think curating a new zone in your home to adore is always a good idea. Whether you've always wanted to design a feature wall, fill up a cabinet of curiosities or put together a dreamy cocktail or reading corner, we can help you do so! Using pieces that showcase a totally unique character, it's so easy to seamlessly transform any corner and give it some much-needed personality.
Finally, if you are experiencing any decorating dilemmas, why not join our Rockett St George Interior Advice Forum?! This group of like-minded interiors fanatics is the perfect place to discuss your styling ideas and queries as a community. You will not regret it!
Drink: Our Top 3 Winter Cocktails
Whether you love a homemade cocktail or mocktail, this is a brilliant activity for you and your family. After a season of celebration, why stop there?! We think you all deserve to be treated to some delicious cocktails, in the comfort of your own home! So, if brightening up your month means more cocktails, we're all for it...see below for our top three recipes this January.
Our Top 3 Recipes To Create At Home
1. Apple Cider Margarita
A fabulous twist on a classic cocktail, this Apple Cider Margarita from The Communal Feast is the perfect winter warmer. To be served hot or on ice, this recipe is so diverse, and we simply love the apple, lime and cinnamon sugar combo!
- 1/6 Tequila of choice (sub for a smoky tequila)
- 2/3 Fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1/6 Fresh apple cider
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- Cinnamon sugar rim
- Lime wedge for rim
- Garnish - Dehydrated citrus wheel, fresh herbs, cinnamon stick.
2. Mulled Wine Sangria
A fresh and fruity version of a classic mulled wine, this winter sangria is just perfect! Moreover, for this recipe, all you need to do is simmer a bottle of red wine on a low heat, throw in all of your favourite winter spices, some fresh fruit and let your sangria chill in the fridge ready for a rainy day!
1 bottle of red wine, 1 cup apple cider, ¼ cup of honey, 3 cinnamon sticks, 1 green apple, 1 orange, 1 lemon and 1 lime.
Add To Chill:
Blackberries, cranberries and 1/4 cup of brandy.
Garnish To Serve:
Lemon, blackberries, pomegranate, cranberries, star anise and topped with floral herbs.
3. Fig Dark & Stormy
A gorgeous and vibrant cocktail, the fig dark and stormy is rich in flavour and so easy to make.
- 1 Fig and a fresh herb of choice
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Fig jam or mashed fresh fig
- 2/3 Ginger beer
- 1/3 Dark rum
Glorious Glassware For Your Creations
Everyone needs a show-stopping vessel for their tipple of choice! So, why not choose one that will bring you joy as you serve your cocktail creation to the ones you love. Looking just as fabulous when displayed on a shelf as they do on your dining table, our gorgeous selection of glassware is perfect for any occasion. Even if it's just for a simple drink at home, you may as well sip it in style...right?!
Eat: Unique Dining Ideas To Do At Home
Although we can't throw any parties at the moment, it doesn't mean to say we can't have fun at home with our nearest and dearest. So this month, why not recreate a restaurant feel in the home and host an all-out fabulous dinner party for your family or housemates?! Keep reading to discover how to make dinner all the more unique and special in the month of January.
Divine Decor Ideas
Products Featured: Beautiful Palm Tree Candle Holders, Dusky Pink Sakura Cherry Blossom Dinner Plate, Antique Black 4-Piece Cutlery Set, Pert Bottom Glass Vase (due back in stock approx 8th January), Beautiful Dinner Candle - Metallic Gold.
Let's start with the tableware! There's something so special about setting the table for the meal ahead, so why not do it in style?! Using an eclectic mix of accessories and tableware with a twist, you can create a luxurious yet relaxing restaurant feel in your home. Additionally, our Rockett St George top tip is always mood lighting! Ensure you illuminate your space in an inviting way, making your marvellous meal feel all the more special with a glorious glow.
Restaurant Style Meal Ideas
Over the past year, we know there has been plenty of time for home cooking. So, to lift the spirits this month, why not indulge in a home cooking kit from some of our favourite restaurants. Delivering to many locations in the UK, this is a great idea for those looking for a treat or a new recipe to try ay home. Even better, these cooking kits come with everything you need to make a fabulous dinner for your loved ones without the fuss! So what's not to love?!
About The Cooking Kits
- Dishoom Naan Roll Kit - The perfect indulgent breakfast, lunch or even a cheeky dinner, Dishoom's Bacon Naan Roll Kit is a unique twist on a traditional dish using chilli tomato jam, cream cheese, chai spices and a tasty naan dough. Click here to order yours.
- Padella Pasta Kits - Comfort food at it's finest! Padella Pasta is one of our favourite food spots in Shoreditch, so we are thrilled about their home pasta kits. Whatsmore, these kits include many of their iconic dishes using fresh hand-rolled pasta paired with the best traditional Italian sauces. Click here to order yours.
- Burger & Lobster DIY Kits - The ultimate treat for burger and lobster lovers alike, this DIY kit doesn't mess around! If you're missing a tasty restaurant burger or lavish lobster in a bun, then you will love these delicious recipe kits. Click here to order yours.
- The Cheese Bar Selection Boxes - From the best bar around, The Cheese Bar London's selection boxes are the perfect choice for a cosy winter evening of drinks and grazing food. Additionally, for something a little different, the FONDUE-IT-YOURSELF cheese kit makes a brilliant home date night for any cheese addict! Click here to order yours.
And finally...choose one of our top three cocktails of the month to serve with your meal detailed above!
Edit: RSG Loves
This month is all about self-care and good vibes. So, with more time on our hands in the new year than usual, we have put together our top picks to keep you entertained through January. From online courses and books to tv shows, Instagram profiles and our favourite products, it's always fun to try something new to keep your spirits up!
What Online Courses We're Loving
- Lucy Gough's Interior Styling Courses - If you are lusting after Lucy Gough's incredible styling, then you will love her new course; 'How To Style Your Home Like A Magazine'. This is a great way to learn whilst doing something creative, the perfect home project for any interiors lover. In addition to this, if interior styling is your dream job, then you will love her 'Learn How To Become A Professional Interior Stylist' course too.
- Kelly Wearstler Teaches Interior Design - Teaching you to about how to design with confidence, Kelly Wearstler is offering 17 video lessons on Masterclass where she goes into depth about how to be daring with texture, colour and materials. For any interiors fanatic, these videos will feed your creative needs!
- Sophie Robinson Design Courses - If you are looking for something a little different, Sophie Robinson's new Colour Phycology For Interiors Course will teach you how to create colour schemes with confidence. Whatsmore, she also has a Be Your Own Interior Designer and Brave Bold Beautiful Interiors course which puts fun and creativity into home learning.
What We're Reading
- This Is How It Always Is By Laurie Frankel - A beautifully written book centring on a family and their young child coming to terms with gender and identity. This Is How It Always Is tackles transgender issues whilst cleverly weaving a fairytale-like feel throughout to mirror the young child's views growing up as they find out who they are amongst the complexity of life. It is a truly moving book.
- Extraordinary Interiors In Colour By Jane Rockett & Lucy St George - Our favourite coffee table book for any interiors lover, Extraordinary Interiors In Colour is Jane and Lucy's second book and it is utterly fabulous! If you are looking for advice on how to be daring with colour or you simply want to cheer yourself up with some glorious interior inspiration, then this book is the one for you. This is a must-have buy for aspiring designers and interior addicts alike!
- Tough Women Adventure Stories By Jenny Tough - A collection of real stories that celebrate women out in nature, each chapter of this powerful book centres around a different adventurer. Tough Women Adventure Stories details feelings of defeat, accomplishment and courage as well as mental and physical struggle in life or death situations through personal experience. This is such an interesting read.
What We're Watching
- Don't Hate The Playaz - ITV2 - If you're into music, a little dance or a rap battle, then you'll love Don't Hate The Playaz. Featuring plenty of amazing special guests, comedians and rappers from the industry, this panel show hosted by Jordan Stephens features two teams going head to head in rap trivia, freestyle challenges and more. This show is so much fun and celebrates all things rap and hip hop related.
- The Queen's Gambit - Netflix - A young orphaned girl who has a miraculous talent in chess-playing, strives for the grandmaster title whilst also battling a drug addiction. This drama miniseries set in the cold war era and pays homage to one of the oldest games but in a very gripping way. Paired this with beautiful cinematography and magnificent interiors and this is one to watch!
- Schitt's Creek - Netflix - With 6 seasons to binge-watch if you haven't already, Schitt's Creek is a brilliant comedy series that you will love if you need something new to get stuck into. Lighthearted and perfect comfort tv, this series follows the Rose Family who are forced to move to a dead-end town after losing their money, a town they bought as a joke in the 90s! The eccentric characters and fabulous outfits are why Schitt's Creek never fails to make us smile.
Who We're Following
- @emmajanepalin - Bursting with colour and fabulous style, Emma Jane Palin's Instagram is positively gorgeous and will make you want to redecorate all corners of your home with daring colours!
- @nofeaturewalls - Laura is pattern obsessed, but instead of making them clash, she dares to pair all of her floral favourites in her lovely home...and it just works wonderfully! Check out her Instagram where every wall is a wall to be adored.
- @michelleogundehin - Featuring a grid of colour palette heaven and moodboards of dreams, Michelle Ogundehin's feed is a must-follow for any design fanatic. It is simply delightful!
What We're Lusting After
Bringing you some beautiful mustard and amber-toned inspo, this month we are lusting after those totally happy hues. Bringing a positively glorious feeling to all rooms of the home, these marvellous accessories are guaranteed to uplift the look of any scheme whilst being ultra-practical pieces for any interior. So what's not to love?!
- White & Gold Wet & Wild Bath Mat
- Set Of 3 Amber Glass Nest Of Coffee Tables
- Curved Back Velvet Dining Chair In Golden Ochre
Enter: Facebook & Instagram Competition
Want to win a £50 e-voucher to spend online at Rockett St George?! If so, all you need to do to enter the Instagram and Facebook competition is take a picture of your fabulous space using the hashtag #rockettstgeorge.
To enter the competition simply follow the steps below:
- Take a picture of any curated corner of your home that you'd like to share with us.
- Head over to Instagram or Facebook and post the picture to your feed. You'll need to tag us using our @rockettstgeorge.co.uk handle and hashtag #rockettstgeorge to make sure we get your entry.
- And, that's it! Don't forget, you have until midnight on Thursday the 28th January to enter. The winner will be announced on the February Hot List. Good Luck!
For our December Hot List, our competition theme was #MyFestiveHome where we invited you to share your boldly beautiful Christmas decor. There were plenty of ultra-fabulous entries this month from statement honeycomb ball displays to delightful drinks trolleys. But, one entry really caught our eye!
We are so pleased to announce that this month's winner of the #MyFestiveHome competition is @happyhome_13! Featuring the marvellous Gold Octopus Candlestick Holder as a stunning centrepiece, this festive table setting accompanied with dazzling disco balls and a ravishing wreath has been styled to perfection!
Inspiration: Wonderful & Wintery
A new year and the same dreamy vibes! If you haven't already been obsessing over Co-Founder Jane Rockett's moodboards, then you must head over to @rockettstgeorge for endless interior inspiration and all-round glorious imagery. This month, we are seeing plenty of wonderful winter decor with a hint of sass. We are simply loving these monochrome looks with pops of cosy colour, such a feast for the eyes!
Listen: The Positive Vibes Playlist
Finally, to round off the first Hot List of 2021, we bring you the Positive Vibes Playlist! We hope that this playlist will provide you with a hint of happiness in everyday life. So, however you are choosing to spend the month of January, this positively glorious playlist will be with you every step of the way for some feel-good fun!
1- Lovely Day - Bill Withers
2- Fly Me To The Moon - Bobby Womack
3- Hell N Back - Bakar
4- Smile - Nat King Cole
5- And The Beat Goes On - The Whispers
6- Natural Mystic - Bob Marley & The Wailers
7- Let's Stay Together - Al Green
8- Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations
9- Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
10- Love On Top - Beyoncé
And more...With the Positive Vibes Playlist!