The August Hot List
Hello August! In the height of summer, there is plenty to celebrate and enjoy this month.
From foodie festivals and live events to audiobooks and ice cream recipes, August is looking like the best month yet! Moreover, if you are looking for the best activities for the summer holidays or you want to make this month a memorable one, then you will love all of the amazing things in the August Hot List. Whatsmore, for an effortlessly stylish treat, we have a gorgeous competition prize that any plant or flower lover will adore. Finally, however, you choose to spend this month, we hope that it is a positively glorious one!
Team RSG x
Win: A Rockett St George Summer Pampas Arrangement
If you are a lover of fabulous floral arrangements, then you will go crazy for this month's competition prize! The summer pampas arrangement of dreams, our glorious new range of whimsical grasses are perfect for adding character and charm to your home. Even better, see below for our Co-Founder Jane Rockett's top tips on how to style your Rockett St George pampas.
What's included? One Lucky Person Will Win:
- 3x Mustard Pampas Grass Stems
- 3x Fluffy Natural Pampas Grass Stems
- 3x Brown Pampas Grass Stems
- 3x Natural Pampas Grass Stems
- 1x Cog Shaped Black Smoked Glass Vase
Click Or Tap Below For Your Chance To Win A Rockett St George Pampas Grass Arrangement This August!
Terms & Conditions Apply, Read Them Here.
Learn: How To Create A Grazing Platter With Berry & Brie
If you are looking for something a little different for your next dinner party, birthday or special occasion, Berry And Brie have it all! Spreading joy with every creation, this wonderful family business combines a passion for food with a love for indulgent celebrations. Additionally, with bespoke grazing platters, breakfast boxes and more, this would make a gorgeous present for a loved one. Ready-made, curated and delivered, you don't need to worry about a thing when ordering these totally irresistible grazing creations! Whether it be a pretty picnic, an afternoon in the garden or an all-out fabulous party, there are so many reasons to try a beautifully styled Berry And Brie Platter. I mean...what's not to love?!
Learn How On The Berry & Brie Instagram Live - Thursday 19th August At 8pm - @rockettstgeorge.co.uk
If you love this beautiful brand as much as we do, tune in to find out how Mako creates these glorious grazing platters. Whatsmore, if you want to style a cheese and charcuterie board along with the live stream, we have a list of everything you need. Finally, see below to get your ingredients and accessories and learn in style along with Berry and Brie!
What You'll Need
- Aged Cheddar, Manchego, Brie & Stilton Wedges
- A Handful Of Walnuts, Almonds & Pistachios
- Handful Of Mixed Olives
- A Handful Of Red Grapes
- Satsuma x 1
- Herb or Floral Garnish (Rosemary, Olive Branch or Edible Flowers)
- 1 or 2 Types Of Berries, Small Handful (Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Blueberries)
- Crackers (For The Side)
Rockett St George Grazing Must-Haves
- Rockett St George Black Round Wooden Chopping Board
- Vintage Cocktail Glass With Gold Rim
- Set Of 4 Stripe Napkins
Discover: Canals In London For Al Fresco Evenings
There are so many hidden gems in London and the buzzing canalside spots will never go amiss! Moreover, with more and more amazing restaurants and bars popping up canalside, there is so much to do by the water. This summer, if you are looking for a fun and fabulous day out, check out the brilliant canals below for beautifully sunny alfresco moments.
The Lighterman, Kings Cross
On the edge of the glorious Granary Square, The Lighterman is a fabulous hangout for drinks and food. Here you can enjoy a British seasonal menu, cocktails on the terrace and delicious small plates. Even better, why not come to Kings Cross, stroll around the lovely shops in Coal Drops Yard, sit canalside in the sun and finish your afternoon at The Lighterman Restaurant. Granary Square is the perfect day out for the whole family!
Barge East, Hackney Wick
A floating bar, restaurant and canalside drinking spot, Barge East has it all! The most idyllic spot canalside in Hackney, this beautiful barge boat offers a magical dining experience like no other. Whatsmore, if you have a special occasion coming up, you can hire Barge East this wonderful venue for any celebration. Moreover, Hackney Wick is a great area to visit with plenty of bars, vintage shops, canoes for hire and more. For something a little different, spend the day floating down the river in a canoe and stop for a drink or ice cream at the floating bars. Finally, to finish off your day, you must book a table at Barge East. Overlooking the river accompanied by stunning views of London’s skyline, this is an unforgettable experience for all!
Darcie & May, Union Canal Paddington
A colourful pop art canal boat inspired by artist Sir Peter Blake, Darcie & May Green is the perfect weekend brunch spot. Visit here for a sunny breakfast on the rooftop or for drinks at the buzzing evening bar. Featuring food inspired by Aussie cafes, this delicious and creative cuisine accompanied by canal views is simply wonderful. Even better, from here you can take a walk or hire a boat down Regent's Canal and explore more sunny waterside hangouts.
Feng Shang Princess, Camden
Transporting you to a serene holiday destination, Feng Shang Princess is a floating Chinese restaurant with a sense of escapism. Ultra-magical in the evening, walk across this bridge to the beautiful restaurant with views of the canal and the calming waters beneath. Whatsmore, the traditional food and lovely cocktails is the perfect feast for all. Just a short stroll from this quirky destination, you can reach Camden Town Market, Regent's Park and Little Venice, so why not make a day of it?!
Eat: Fabulous Food Festivals To Feast Upon
If you love a feast, live music and some good old family fun, Food Festivals are the place to be this summer! So, with so much to choose from, we have listed some of the best festivals to visit for all those foodies out there. Even better, not only is it a fabulous day out for all ages, it's a brilliant way to try new cuisines and tuck into some crazy delicious food. What's not to love?!
In various locations over the month of August, Foodies Festival is the ultimate place to find culinary delights and the very best of summer cooking. Featuring street food style stands, award-winning chefs, live music, cocktails and a kids zone, there is so much to do at this festival. So, spend the day in one of the UK locations to learn, eat, dance and more at the Foodies Festival, you won't regret it.
The London Craft Beer Festival is a delightful mixture of all of the best beer brands, London's top food vendors and DJ sets all day and night long. Here, you will find plenty of beer tasting stands, lots of dancing and some exquisite street eats from every delicious corner of London's food scene. Not only is this a great place to gather with friends but it's also a fun, carefree festival vibe filled with trendy food and all the drinks one could want. The perfect day out for any beer lover!
The Travelling Feast was created by Paul Ainsworth to combine his love for the Cornish coast, delicious food, music and time with friends and family. Whatsmore, this festival is the first of its kind, stopping off at hidden gems on the cornish coastline, where you can camp, eat and enjoy music along the way. Featuring luxurious glamping options, each location has its own curated selection of food stands, experiences and live acts, so no two days are the same. Even better, there is a hand-picked itinerary to enjoy the best of the area in style. It's a totally unique festival experience.
Located on the picturesque grounds of Blenheim Palace, this glorious gastronomic food festival features all of the best local and national stalls with high-quality food and worldwide influences. From shopping for organic produce, buying street food and sweet treats, there's plenty to explore amongst the beautiful scenery of Blenheim. On top of this, there is a festival marquee with live demonstrations from famous TV chefs and industry experts. If you are into your food or fancy a scenic picnic, this is the festival for you.
Other Food Festivals Include:
- The Big Feastival - Friday tickets still available
- Seaham Food Festival - 7th-8th August
- Cheese & Chilli Festival - 7th-8th August
- Smoke & Fire Festival - 20th-22nd August
- Malton Food Lovers Fest - 28th-30th August
Edit: Ice Ice Baby! Cool Down With These Ravishing Recipes
When the hot weather gets the better of you, what better way to cool down than with something icy cold?! So, if you want to switch it up, make something easy and unique with these fabulously cooling recipes. You will never look back! See below to discover more...
Fruity Ice Cubes
Icy water with a twist! Making fruity ice cubes is super easy. All you need to do is freeze your favourite fruit or herbs into your ice tray and there you have it! Whatsmore, this is the perfect way to flavour your water, keep cool and stay hydrated in the hot weather. Even better, use these ice cubes to serve to your guests in a pitcher or glass of bubbling prosecco to bring the wow factor to your dinner party!
A frozen margarita is our all-time favourite adult slushie. Bring this out at any party as a summer cooler and you will become the host with the most! For this recipe, all you need to do is pour one-third tequila and two-thirds lime juice into your blender and blitz with ice. This is super easy to make and sure to be a crowd-pleaser on a sunny day with friends or family.
Breakfast Nice Cream
Breakfast nice cream has become hugely popular online for its fabulously colourful appearance and health benefits compared to your regular ice cream recipes. To create your own nice cream, freeze your favourite fruit and blend it with ice or a milk of your choice. It's that simple! Additionally, nice cream bowls found in Bali usually include ingredients such as acai berries, blueberries and bananas. Whatsmore, you can top your bowl with delicious add-ons such as granola, coconut flakes, almond butter and more berries. Totally irresistable!
Cookies & Milk Ice Lollies
Because dunking your cookies is so yesterday. Yes, you heard it right, cookies and milk ice lollies! This recipe is so very naughty but oh-so-right. For this recipe, you will need an ice lolly mould, freshly baked cookies or packet cookies, sweetened condensed milk and double cream. Firstly, add 2 cookies stacked on top of one another into your lolly mould. Next, in a small bowl, whisk together the double cream and sweetened condensed milk until frothy. Then, pour the mixture over the cookies until the mould is filled to the top. Lastly, add your lolly sticks in the middle, cover and pop in the freezer for 6 hours or overnight. And that's how you make some seriously yummy cookies and milk ice lollies!
Listen: Audiobooks To Get Lost In This Summer
For the days you want to kick back and relax, Audiobooks are the perfect escape from reality. So, for downtime on the weekend, going on a road trip or sunbathing in your garden, see below for some great summer listens of all genres.
Memoirs Read By The Author
- Becoming, Michelle Obama - Masterful at storytelling, this insightful memoir is Michelle Obama's reflection on life post living in the White House. Poignant, truthful and full of wisdom, Michelle talks about her struggles as a black female lawyer, having children and her relationship with her husband Barack Obama. A wonderful role model with a calming and powerful presence, this memoir is oh-so inspiring and a brilliant listen.
- Lily Allen, My Thoughts Exactly - With a trademark wit throughout, singer-songwriter Lily Allen tells all about life in the limelight. My Thoughts Exactly is an empowering, real testimony to the struggles that come with fame and success. Refreshing and heartfelt, this is a brilliant listen that will keep you intrigued with a very honest take on life as a woman, mother, wife and singer.
- How To Be A Woman, Caitlin Moran - Part memoir, part rant, Caitlin Moran delves into the highs and lows of being a woman. Hilarious in parts and delving deep in others, How To Be A Woman answers questions that every modern female wants answers to. Whatsmore, you will not get bored with this deeply funny and shockingly true narration of life from Caitlin's perspective.
- Gone Girl - A New York Times Bestseller, Gone Girl is a phycological thriller about the disappearance of Amy Dunne on the day of her fifth wedding anniversary. As husband Nick desperately tries to find his wife, secrets and lies are uncovered along the way. Along with the award-winning film, this audiobook is gripping and mysterious.
- Everything I Never Told You - This crime family drama ignites questions about race, gender and the desire to fit in. Everything I Never Told You is an engrossing mystery about a family looking for their missing daughter and untold truths that are found along the way. This emotional story is riveting, astonishing and enticing from the start.
- Girl On The Train - With plenty of twists and turns, Rachel, the girl who takes the same train every day finds herself entangled in a shocking situation. This dark domestic thriller will keep you on edge, constantly questioning who you believe. Girl On The Train features a brilliant, horrifying and suspenseful plot, one that you won't want to stop listening to!
- Big Little Lies - A brilliant series and hit book, Big Little Lies unveils secrets of a small town, motherhood, marriage and murder. With an ever-shifting and exploratory storyline, Big Little Lies is a powerful drama that follows a group of friends and the dangerous little lies that are told along the way.
- The Handmaid's Tale - Whether you have binge-watched the television series or want to delve into the gripping literature of Margaret Atwood's dystopia for the first time, this is a must-listen. Star of the Handmaid's Tale Series Elisabeth Moss narrates this chilling classic about a terrifying future in America. A place where religious extremists rule a totalitarian government where women serve powerful men, this gripping story has many twists and turns as a scary future unfolds.
- Little Fires Everywhere - An intriguing story of heroes, villains and friends, Little Fires Everywhere explores secrets that could eventually explode into raging blazes. Set in suburban Ohio in the 90s, this best-selling novel is about mothers, teenagers and rivalries that become ever complicated.
See: The Best Live Events & Theatre Shows This August
With the entertainment industry finally back in full swing, now is the time to enjoy everything we have so greatly missed over the last year or so! Whether it's live music, comedy or a marvellous musical, there is so much to see and love this month for all ages. So, see below to discover what kind of fun event you will want to buy tickets for this August for a very fabulous treat!
An edge of your seat supernatural thriller, this spooky and intriguing story is full of twists and turns. Starring Lily Allen, Hadley Fraser, Julia Chan and Jake Wood, this funny meets scary performance will leave you guessing what will happen next. Showing in the Noel Coward Theatre, this is the perfect live show to get tickets for if you love a frightening storyline and chilling narrative.
With two shows on 15th August, here you will find some brilliant comedians at the amazing Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. Canned Laughter is an all-star comedy fundraiser for London's foodbanks. Whatsmore, with the return of live comedy shows, this is a totally fun day or night out that is guaranteed to be filled with laughs and smiles. So, make the comedy comeback a memorable one on the 15th of August with the Early Show or Late Show for a brilliant cause.
Nestled within the Brecon Beacons in Wales, Green Man Festival is a beautiful family-friendly camping weekender perfect for all ages. Even better, there is so much to do over the course of the weekend of the 18th to the 22nd of August. Featuring everything you would want from a fabulous fest, here you can find brilliant music, comedy, visual arts, science, food and more. On top of this, if you are looking for a festival that simply has it all, get lost in music and nature this August at Green Man Festival. The whole family will simply love it!
Located in the Cambridgeshire countryside, We Out Here Festival not only has an amazing music line-up but also has plenty of incredible camping options too. From airstreams and bell tents to boutique Morrocan style tents and campervans, we out here is quirky, fun and fabulous! Whatsmore, there are so many on-site activities for all ages, including yoga, massages, hot tubs, lake swimming, arts and crafts and much more. So, get yourself a ticket for an unforgettable weekend of relaxing and partying in equal measure!
Other Exciting Events Include:
- South Facing Festival, 6th - 29th August, Open Air Concert Series
- Solfest, 26th - 29th August
- Al Fresco Festival, 27th - 29th August
- Field Day, Sunday 29th August
- All Points East Festival, 27th - 30th August
- Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella, The Gillian Lynne Theatre
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Shakespeare's The Globe Theatre
Trends: Quirky Nail Art With Nails By Lola
Without a doubt, quirky nail art is becoming increasingly popular. I mean...who wouldn’t want to treat themselves to a statement feature nail?! So, what can we discover from the latest nail trends? We chat with the talented nail technician and nail art queen Lola Rockett, founder of Nails By Lola to find out what we are seeing in nail trends at the moment and how these marvellously modern designs can come back into our interior style.
Pretty In Pastel
Lola Says ‘Pastel colours have always been popular, but now we are seeing more unique trends such as the colour clash, rainbow pastel nails, colourful french tips and more. These have definitely been the feel-good nail of 2021 so far!'
- Rose Pink Luxury Bath Towel
- Girls Girls Girls Neon Light Box
- Craig & Rose Artisan Chalk Wash - Blue Ochre
Groovy Curves & Shapes
Lola Says ‘This is probably one of the most popular nail art designs at the moment. These dreamy swirls showcase a 70s feel and look wonderful paired with bold colours or can be used to put a new spin on classic colours too. A modern meets seventies groovy curve is sure to stand out from any other nail!’
- Retro Seventies Orange Table Lamp With Shade
- Mustard Pampas Grass Stem, Natural Pampas Grass Stem, Black Onyx Ceramic Bottleneck Vase With Handles & Handmade Amber Ceramic Artichoke Candle Holder
- Beautiful Loveseat In Burnt Orange Velvet
Lola Says 'Minimalistic nails are one of my all-time favourites. I love how something so simple can be so effective. Clients are always shocked at a nail design which is so quick and easy such as a dot or a line creates such an impact and transforms a regular manicure into something so fabulous! They are also such a great talking point.'
- Fernando Black & White Cotton Throw
- King Size Four Poster Iron Canopy Bed In White (Pre-Order For October)
- Rockett St George Sustainable Round Side Table
Playing With Pattern
Lola Says 'When designing nail art, I always look at fashion trends, especially colours and patterns. It is important that nails suit a customer's style and match many outfits. I am lucky to have some really creative and adventurous clients who love to try out new ideas and designs. Each one is very different however which means that I have to constantly create new ideas and designs. This is a challenge that I love. As you can tell I love my job.'
Enter: Facebook & Instagram Competition
Want to win a £50 e-voucher to spend online at Rockett St George?! If so, all you need to do to enter the Instagram and Facebook competition is take a picture of your fabulous space using the hashtag #rockettstgeorge.
To enter the competition this August, simply follow the steps below:
- Firstly, take a picture of any curated corner of your home that you'd like to share with us.
- Next, head over to Instagram or Facebook and post the picture to your feed. You'll need to tag us using our @rockettstgeorge.co.uk handle and hashtag #rockettstgeorge to make sure we get your entry.
- And, that's it! Don't forget, you have until midnight on Tuesday 31st of August to enter. The winner will be announced on the September Hot List. Good Luck!
We are so pleased to announce that this month's winner of the Facebook & Instagram Competition is @mymillhome2021 !
Featuring our Gold Drip Side Table styled to perfection, there's no doubt that Gilly's dreamy eclectic corner filled with glorious details is right up our street. Moreover, we absolutely love the cheeky monkeys, gold details and pretty plants. It's so utterly charming!
Inspiration: Saturday Night Fever
If you know anything about our Co-Founder Jane Rockett and her beautifully curated Instagram, you'll also know she loves anything with a hint of disco fabulous glamour! So, this month, Jane's mood boards of the day over on her reels will take you back to the nostalgia of the colourful carefree disco days! I mean...what's not to love?!
Playlist: Festival Feeling
Whether you are heading to a festival this summer or you simply want to get in the party mood, this is the perfect playlist for you and your friends! So, gather your favourite people round and dance the night away with the Festival Feeling Playlist. It will not disappoint!
- You've Got The Dirtee Love, Live At The Brit Awards - Florence + The Machine, Dizzee Rascal
- I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
- Doo Wop (That Thing) - Ms. Lauryn Hill
- Bootylicious Live - Beyoncé
- Sex On Fire - Kings Of Leon
- Dance Wiv Me - Dizzee Rascal
- Vossi Bop - Stormzy
- Katy On A Mission - Katy B
- Acceptable In The 80s - Calvin Harris
- She's Got Me Dancing - Tommy Sparks
And more... with the Festival Feeling Playlist!
If you enjoyed this blog, you may also like...