The August Hot List 2020
Getting you ready for that bank holiday feeling! Discover the best things to do this August 2020.
As we begin to spend more time out of the house, August is finally the month where we can really enjoy those summer holiday vibes. From online experiences and rooftop cocktails to our favourite tv shows and brilliant podcasts, there is something for everyone. On top of this, with the launch of our new Rockett St George x Pikes Collection, this month's competition is all in the name of holiday cocktails, Pikes Ibiza style!
Above all, whatever you are planning to do this August, we hope that it is a positively glorious month!
Jane, Lucy & The Rockett St George Team x
Win: A 2-night Stay at Pikes Ibiza & an exciting Rockett St George Bundle
Win: A 2-night Stay at Pikes Ibiza & an exciting Rockett St George Bundle
This month, we want you to celebrate summer in style... Pikes Ibiza Style!
Known for its party-all-night spirit, the Iconic Pikes Hotel has quite the rock'n'roll history with famous visitors including the likes of Freddie Mercury, Grace Jones, Kate Moss and Jon Bon Jovi to name but a few. Our favourite place to stay in Ibiza and with an exclusively designed Rockett St George Hotel Room plus a joint Homeware Collection there's nothing quite like the Pikes Hotel Magic to get us feeling good and ready to party! Inspired by the Pikes Cocktail Book the RSG x Pikes Ibiza collection features a range of quirky cocktail vessels and accessories that will add a little party magic to your home. Here is a little sneak peek at some of the trending pieces in the new collection...
So, to celebrate the launch of our Pikes x Rockett St George Cocktail Collection we have an incredible prize up for grabs this month. If you fancy jetting off last minute on a short holiday of dreams, then this month's prize will definitely be suited to you!
One very lucky entrant will win*...
- 2-Night Stay at Pikes Ibiza
- The Pikes Cocktail Book
- Black Rum Punch Bottle Cocktail Sharer
- Cosmic Pineapple Cocktail Glass
- G & Tea Teapot
Enter the competition below for a chance to win this amazing prize...
Go: Where To Visit Whilst Enjoying The Outdoors
As some of our favourite festivals are cancelled this August, there are many other places to go and have fun with friends and family. Below are a few of our top highlights.
When? August Pop Up
Providing all the benefits of the stylish Hoxton Hotel with a countryside twist, Camp Hox is the perfect secluded getaway with all the comforts of a city break! Nestled within the spacious grounds of an 18th-century hall, the Camp Hox Pop Up is an ultra-gorgeous site of 12 bell tents that promises an experience like no other. Featuring fabulous tents with double beds, the sleeping space has been dressed up to a wonderful Hoxton Hotel Room standard, they really have thought of everything from style to comfort. From amazing barbeque food and cocktails on pre-order to free bikes for exploring and an outdoor bar, you will quickly feel right at home at this unique and luxurious getaway. There are three lovely packages to choose from, the 2 Nighter, 3 Nighter and The Takeover, where you can hire all 12 tents for a glorious get together with your nearest and dearest. You can email to enquire via their website.
Where? Hackney Wick
Offering a fresh seasonal menu, outdoor dining with river views and a private plant enclosed terrace, Barge East makes for a really special dining experience. Situated on the River Lee in Hackney Wick, this 118-year-old Dutch Barge has been lovingly restored using reclaimed materials by three friends with a love for food, drinks and exploring. Using local suppliers and seasonal produce, Barge East is a small plate dining concept with a charming atmosphere and beautiful London views. The perfect place to meet friends for a sunny canalside drink or a glorious birthday feast floating on a boat, this hotspot is somewhere you will simply love to visit this August. Click here to get a booking!
Do: Get Creative Or Enjoy A Unique Experience
Whether you are enjoying getting creative at home or starting to get out and explore, there is plenty to do from online courses to days out in London whilst keeping safe. This month, whether you are spending more time at home or meeting up with friends, we have some lovely ideas on what you can do.
If you are an aspiring interior stylist or simply love a home project, then you will thoroughly enjoy Lucy Gough's online course! A great way to kickstart your journey in the world of interiors or a lovely activity to keep creatives busy, this course shares Lucy's expert techniques from the industry. Featuring moodboard-ing lessons and real-life case studies, this online course is perfect for building a portfolio with amazing help along the way. It is an ideal way to learn more about styling for all interior addicts! Packed full of creative tasks and first-hand knowledge from the industry, this course is fun, informative and effortlessly stylish! Click here to find out how to sign up.
Where? Regent's Canal
A lovely day out with friends or family, the GoBoat London bring your own booze boating experience is a wonderfully unique activity. With a beautiful scenic route through the vibrant Little Venice, Regent's Canal and Camden, this self-drive boat trip is the perfect excuse to go sightseeing with a boozy picnic onboard!
See: Online, Open Air & Enjoying Nature
This year we are definitely used to getting into the festival spirit from home after watching Glastonbury's 50th anniversary digitally! As we come into what usually is the peak of the festival season, there are still plenty of ways to get into the party mood or simply use the extra time to relax with family and friends.
Taking place every year in on August Bank Holiday Weekend in West London since the 1960s, Notting Hill Carnival celebrates Caribbean heritage, arts and culture. At this festival, you can expect to see colourful costumes, all kinds of music including steel bands, reggae and salsa artists, plenty of dancing and lots of amazing food. This year the 2020 festival has gone digital, bringing this one of a kind carnival experience to your home, Notting Hill Carnival will be available to stream online on four Livestream channels over the course of the weekend. From food and cocktail classes, to live music and dancing, the spirit and atmosphere of the carnival can be enjoyed with a wonderful sense of community, all online. So what better way to continue this long-standing celebration than with a home viewing party?
Where? Regent's Park
The amazing Regent's Park Open-Air Theatre is holding a range of comedy nights starting from August. A great gift idea or night out with a special someone, this is a brilliant way to spend a warm summers evening with family or friends. Also hosting open-air movie nights and theatre shows, this one of a kind location makes for an unforgettable experience for all to love. This one of a kind evening out is something that the whole family can enjoy in a fresh open space, which is ideal for our new way of living! Click here to book a comedy show at the open-air theatre.
Take a trip to this beautiful organic lavender farm located just outside of London. A lovely day out to enjoy the fresh air and gorgeous lavender scents, Mayfield Lavender is a wonderful family-run 25-acre farm. We simply love lavender and the calming benefits, so this is a brilliant place to go and breathe in lungfuls of fresh, fragrant air!
A unique day trip for a summers day, Mayfield Lavender also holds tractor tours and on top of this, there is a pretty cafe and gift shop with amazing views of the field. A great family day out idea this beautiful farm will offer plenty of insta-worthy moments. Click here to find out how to visit.
Drink: Top 3 London Rooftop Bars For Socially Distanced Socials
As we start to venture back to bars and pubs, we'll all be planning a bank holiday weekend get together no doubt! So here are our top 3 picks for some socially distanced socials for you and your friends to do this August 2020.
Where? London Fields
Sunsets, fresh air, views and booze, Netil360 has it all. The perfect place to meet for an outdoor drink in the sun or a dance under the disco ball at night, this dazzling rooftop bar showcases particularly special views in a lovely laidback setting. Providing a relaxed atmosphere, cocktails, guest DJs and more, Netil360 is somewhere you can go with friends on any occasion and have a brilliant time! Click here to visit their website.
In the heart of South London, Bussey Rooftop Bar sits on top of the iconic Bussey Building. Featuring fabulous tropical-themed decor, a range of cocktails and seasonal bites, this stylish rooftop is an ultra-fun setting with a hint of holiday vibes. For a divine day drink or an evening meet up with friends, this colourful rooftop is a wonderful oasis to escape to and enjoy the stunning London skyline. Click here to book.
For those who love a drink filled bank holiday weekend, Bar Elba has so many amazing events (excuses to drink with friends!) From bottomless prosecco at their Sunset Sessions to a luxury hamper with rosé at the Picnic On The Roof afternoon tea, Bar Elba really has so much to offer on their fabulous rooftop. Other brilliant experiences include retro-style Movie Nights, rooftop Cocktail Classes and Elba Fest Bottomless Brunch to name a few. With so many delightful events to choose from, you better get booking! Whether it is for a special occasion or a cocktail filled day out, this is a glorious place to enjoy amazing views and get in the party mood with your favourite people. Click here to book.
Edit: RSG Loves
Next up on our list of things to do August 2020 is our top picks of the month here at Rockett St George!
What We're Watching
- I May Destroy You - Available on BBC IPlayer - I May Destroy You is a fearless and frank new drama about sexual consent and modern relationships.
- Dead To Me - Available on Netflix - Dead To Me is an American drama about two unlikely friends which explores the ups and downs of grief, loss and forgiveness with a touch of edgy comedy.
- The School That Tried To End Racism - Available on All4 - This programme is about a school who tries to eradicate racial biases. Part of the new Black Voices, Black Lives section on the All4 App.
What We're Listening To
- Doing It Right With Pandora Sykes - Interviewing a new professional each week, Doing It Right With Pandora Sykes explores all the big and little moments that make up the trivialities of modern life.
- Grounded With Louis Theroux - A podcast created during the lockdown, Louis Theroux interviews a great selection of high-profile people he has always wanted to chat with. A great listen as always, no subject is off-limits with Louis Theroux's fearless interview style.
- The Receipts Podcast - An unadulterated podcast with no filter, three inspiring women answer a wide range of dilemmas from listeners. From relationships to situationships this is an honest and hilarious listen if you want to learn and laugh with a hint of x-rated humour. Please note: This podcast contains explicit content.
- The Pikes Podcast - Chatting about all things Ibiza with some familiar faces at Pikes Hotel, Guy Williams and Dawn Hindle talk about the party culture, the cocktails and the history of Pikes Ibiza. With some fabulous stories about Pikes Hotel through the years and what makes it so one of a kind, this podcast will make you want to jet off to this hotspot on the Balearic Islands.
What We're Lusting After
- Pikes At Rockett St George Stunning Shard Mirrored Bar Table - £1,500
- Cocktails Metal Sign Wall Art - £38
- Silver Leaf Light Chain Spray - £60
- Pair Of Antique White Distressed Angel Wings Wall Art - £85
Who We're Following
- @irieandi - A lovely online kids clothing boutique with the most gorgeous summer buys for little ones, Irie and I has created a brilliant community for mothers plus some beautiful pictures along the way.
- @lesouriredemarcel - A French illustrator with amazing girl power and body positivity message, Tiffany's artwork is simply divine and so is her style.
- @theperfecthideaway - Holiday inspiration and design-focused properties for the modern traveller. An account that will make you want to go exploring right away.
Enter: Facebook & Instagram Competition
Want to win a £50 e-voucher to spend online at Rockett St George?! Of course, you do! So, for our monthly Instagram & Facebook competition, our new theme is #MyQuirkyHome.
To enter the competition all you need to do is:
- Take a picture of a quirky style spot in your home.
- Head over to Instagram or Facebook and post the picture to your feed. You'll need to use our handle @rockettstgeorge.co.uk and hashtags #rockettstgeorge and #MyQuirkyHome to make sure we get your entry.
- And, that's it! Don't forget, you have until midnight on Thursday the 27th of August to enter. The winner will be announced on the September Hot List 2020. Good Luck!
July Instagram & Facebook Competition Winner
For our July Hot List, our competition theme was #MyLivingRoomStyle where we invited you to share your beautiful living areas all styled up! From fabulous feature walls to shelfies and cocktail corners, you really wowed us with your quirky creations. As you know, we love all things fabulously unique, so this month it was very difficult to choose!
We are so pleased to announce that this month's winner of the #MyLivingRoomStyle competition is @thebuchananinterior. James and Kenny's home is simply fabulous with amazing eclectic accessories throughout. Their glorious entry for this month's competition features the ravishing Regal Selfie Velvet Wall Hanging and we love the use of divine colours paired with gold details!
Congratulations James & Kenny (@thebuchananinterior) - you have won a £50 e-voucher to spend at Rockett St George. Wahoo!
Inspiration: Moodboards For Those Summer Vibes
Moodboard-ing is our thing! If you follow Co-Founder Jane Rockett on Instagram, you will have seen her ultra-fabulous inspiration boards. This month, we have seen some amazing summer vibes on the @rockettstgeorge Instagram that we know you will adore!
Listen: Bank Holiday Weekend Feeling
Who doesn't love an August 2020 bank holiday?! A great excuse to throw a party or have a sunny BBQ with friends and family. To really get you excited for a weekend of fun and frolicking with your favourite people, we have the perfect Bank Holiday Weekend Feeling Playlist for a glorious get-together from the garden to the park.
- Redbone - Childish Gambino
- Pick Up - DJ Koze
- Lost In Music - Sister Sledge
- Hold Up - Beyoncé
- Doo Wop (That Thing) - Ms. Lauryn Hill
- The Look - Metronomy
- No Diggity - Blackstreet, Dr. Dre
- The Less I Know The Better - Tame Impala
- Let's Dance - 2002 Remaster - David Bowie
- Rumour Mill - Rudimental
- And more...On the Bank Holiday Weekend Feeling Playlist!