Hair Toss, Check My Nails...
Specialising in all things nails, Nails by Lola has been taking Sussex by storm!
Recently launched by Lola Rockett, Nails by Lola is an independent nail salon based in the beautiful Sussex countryside. With nail design taking Instagram by storm in recent years, we thought it was about time we sat down and quizzed Lola on everything she knows about nails. Find out Lola's top tips on how to strengthen nails, her favourite manicures and top trends coming to nail design this year.
What's more, if you live in Sussex and are looking for a nail salon near me, then find out more in our interview below. As the name suggests, Lola's mum happens to be our fabulous co-founder, Jane! So if you book an appointment with Lola you'll also be in for an interior feast for the eyes in her beautifully styled home salon.
Interview with Nails by Lola owner, Lola Rockett
1. We’d love to know how and when you first got into creating beautiful nails?
I have always loved beautiful nails especially nail art. As a little girl, I had a huge pink bag filled to the brim with nail art bits and bobs. I used to spend hours creating nails designs and painting both mine and my sister’s nails. Pretty soon all my friends were asking me to do their nails for them, too! So as soon as I could, I trained professionally so that I could start my business, Nails By Lola.
2. What are the most challenging and enjoyable aspects of your job and owning your own business?
I find the accounts and paperwork the most challenging but meeting different people and transforming their hands is really rewarding. Everyone can have beautiful nails.
3. We are obsessed with your Nails by Lola Instagram account which is full of the most creative nail designs. What would your 3 top tips be for achieving the perfect nail?
My top tips are;
- Use cuticle oil 3 times a day. It not only softens the cuticles but it feeds the nail too. The oil penetrates both varnish and gel though to the nail.
- Match your nail colour to your skin tone just as you would choose a piece of clothing. One colour will make your hands look washed out whereas another will make them look healthy and fresh.
- If using gels, I always use a nail treatment under the gel to nourish and protect the nail. This is how you get super long healthy nails.
4. What is your favourite on-trend look for nails at the moment and what do you think will be the next big thing?
Right now I am obsessed with nude nails with a subtle neon design. Perfect for a fresh summer look.
5. What does 2020 have in store for you?
I am reopening my home salon in July 2020 which is situated just outside Lewes in Sussex. I can’t wait to welcome clients into such a lovely space where they can relax, enjoy the view while I transform their nails.
6. What tips or advice would you give to someone who is looking to start their own career in nails?
Practice, practice, practice.
7. We couldn’t do a Q&A without asking you about your own personal style… Tell us about it - What would you say your personal style is like?
My personal style is minimalist, stylish and sleek. I have a monochrome wardrobe which I like to mix with a bright nail and lips.
8. And of course – we have to also talk about interiors! What is your favourite room in the house, and why?
My new Salon. It is a gentle pink with gold accents, soft Moroccan rugs and cushions creating the perfect sanctuary for self-care.
9. With your mum being our fabulous co-founder, Jane Rockett, and all-round interiors expert - Do you think you have taken elements of inspiration from your mum’s style? Or do you have your own unique take on interiors?
My tastes are not exactly like my Mum’s but I have definitely taken a lot of style tips and tricks from her. Including the use of mirrors and lighting to create a gentle atmosphere in my Salon.
10. Finally, name 3 RSG products that you love!
The Empowered Women Empower Women Candle because of the ethos behind it. Plus it smells beautiful! I will have one burning in the Nail Salon.
I am obsessed with the Rose Pink Velvet Petal Armchair!
The Beautiful Bottom Vase is super cute too.