White walls are a blank canvas that offers a myriad of seemingly endless interior design possibilities!
So whether you are renting, own your home or otherwise, we've popped together our top tips for working with white walls, along with a little interior inspiration.
How to decorate with white walls:
- Start with two base colours. For example white and black, white and grey or white and pink. Whatever colour combo you go for, it's helpful to have two base colours that make up the foundations of your room. You can then add in colour pops and metallics in your room accessories, soft furnishings and otherwise.
- Accessorise! Just because the walls are white or even Magnolia (renters will know this problem all to well), it doesn't mean that you can't make a serious style statement in the room. If you love unusual and quirky things then adorn your shelves in quirky ornaments, eclectic vases filled with plants, funny art prints and anything that makes you smile. If you are a renter, we have more tips for personalising your home on our blog - 10 Tips to transform your rented or new home.
- Choose contrasting curtains. Colourful curtains are fantastic and also incredibly affordable ways of creating an impact in a white painted room. In the Rockett St George book - Extraordinary Interiors by Jane Rockett and Lucy St George, the homeowner Quentin Leroux opted for mustard curtains in his white painted living room and the effect is transformative. It creates a ray of sunshine and warming feel in the room.
- Rugs and soft furnishings. Floor rugs, throws, scatter cushions and blankets are great for adding texture and cosiness to your home. But, also they are great for injecting colour and pattern too. We have a wide range of colourful rugs, statement cushions and beautiful throws and blankets at Rockett St George if you are in search for soft furnishings like these.
- Plants, plants and more plants. Not only are plants great for enhancing your wellbeing in the home, but they are also genius for adding colour and texture to your interiors. Green, in particular, is also incredibly versatile working with a range of colour tones and hues. So don't hold back... stock up on lots of house plants (faux or the real deal) to add impact and harmony to your home. Check out our blog - How Colour Makes You Feel - to find out more about how green and the other colours of the rainbow effect you.
- Keep it simple. Alternatively, if you prefer a calm and serene home then a paired back look is perfect for you. Let the elegant and calm white walls do the talking and incorporate minimalist touches such as monochrome artwork, furniture and deep pile rugs for added comfort. Natural wood furniture and complementary neutral tones such as our Cloisters Wall Paint would also be a great choice for creating a natural look in your home.
Working With White Walls - Inspiration
Shop The Colour Swatch
White walls can sometimes be cold and stark, but homeowner Quentin Leroux has cleverly opted for warming earthy accessories including those enviable mustard curtains, the brown leather sofa and the copper ceiling light!
A genius idea for a rented home, here the homeowner, Fred Musik has accessorised with house plants and simple monochrome accessories. The look is refined and paired back... ideal for a peaceful home.
If you are restricted to white walls, a really easy and inexpensive way to add a little personality to youe home is to accessorise with what you have. Here homeowner, Tina B, has accessorised with her clothes and handbags! It's a really fun way to style your home, plus its a useful idea for anyone who is short on storage space.
If you love bold colours then opting for colour pop furniture or even colour pop doors, ceilings or skirting will certainly make an impact in your home.
If you prefer the dark side when it comes to your interiors, pair your white walls with dark furnishings and accessories for dark and eclectic impact.
Enjoyed this blog? You may also like:
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT PAINT COLOUR FOR YOUR HOME
- TOP PAINT COLOURS FOR 2019 COMING TO A PAINTBRUSH NEAR YOU