Our living rooms are spaces where the family comes together to relax, hang out and escape.
Creating a unique living room is integral to making your home personal and with a wealth of interior inspiration out there from magazines, interior design books to Instagram and Pinterest, there is no limit to where you can find living room inspiration ideas. But, how do you refine your choices and decorate a living room that is personal, unique and meaningful to you?!
To solve this interior conundrum, we've listed our quick steps on how to decorate your living room, along with three unique living room ideas to inspire you. Discover more below...
How to decorate your living room
- Get inspired. Take inspiration from everywhere and create a mood board on Pinterest with your favourite looks and styles. You'll soon be able to identify a theme or pattern in your curation of selected looks. For more info, check out our blog, How To Find The Right Home Interiors Trend For You.
- Walls and ceilings. Once you've got a style in mind its time to get to work with wall paint or wallpaper. Be sure to consider what direction your house is facing as the direction of the light can affect how a room looks. Southern facing rooms receive warm yellow colours, whilst northern facing rooms typically receive a cooler, blue light. For more tips, check out our blog - How To Choose The Right Paint Colour For Your Walls.
- Furniture. Now the walls are painted its time to chose your furniture! Take your time with this, it's much better to take your time choosing pieces that you love then making quick and impulsive decisions, even if it means living with an empty space for a little while. By doing this you'll come to appreciate the rooms distinct features, without making rash furniture decisions. For more advice, check out our blog - 5 Timeless Pieces For Your Home.
- Lighting is key! Lighting is integral to setting the tone and mood in your living room, so don't neglect it! Lighting from a single ceiling pendant, without a dimmer switch will wash the room in a blanket of light. So instead install a dimmer, or alternatively opt for beautiful wall lights, table lights, floor lights and light chains. For a more thorough guide on choosing lighting, take a look at our blog - How To Choose Lighting For Your Home.
- Now for the fun part... accessorise! This is the point where you really get to express your personality in your living room, so go to town with your favourite cushions, throws, quirky ornaments, beautiful artwork, drinks trolleys, oversized mirrors and anything that you love. For tips on how to accessorise and display in your living room, be sure to read our blog - The Art of Display.
For more tips on how to decorate your living room (and your whole house too), check out the Rockett St George book - Extraordinary Interiors. And, keep on reading to see our three unique living room ideas...
Living room idea no.1 - Roaring glamour
With an emphasis on rich colour palettes, golden details and an eclectic edge, you can create a living room that is roaring with glamour with a few easy touches.
- Opt for rich wall colours such as our Briarwood Paint or Pimpernel Wall Paint. The rich and dark undertones will create a warming undertone that's the perfect backdrop for your statement accessories.
- Find yourself the mother of all statement sofas. The aim of the game is to create impact, so opt for a showstopping sofa like this Burnt Orange Sofa. It will 'wow' as soon as you walk into the room, not forgetting the fact that it's incredibly comfy too!
- Golden Accent Lighting. A glamorous living room deserves an incredible light feature, so opt for golden or metallic lighting that will make your room shine. Our Tropical Palm Leaf Chandelier, Gold Fern Leaf Pendant Light, Anna Hayman Designs DecoFabulous Gold & Black Bibana Lamp Shade and Metallic Fringing Chandelier - Gold would all make great choices here.
- Eclectic Touches. To add some wild personality to your glamorous living room opt for eclectic and imaginative objects. Great choices include our Two Leopards Velvet Cushion, Black Stalking Leopard Ornament and Gold Monkey Decorative Ornament.
GET THE LOOK
Living room idea no.2. - Dark drama
Elegant, sophisticated and filled with delicious dark drama, there are a few things that you can do to create drama in your living room.
- Sexy dark walls. Dark walls is and always will be the ultimate way to create drama in your home. Opt for dark colours like a sexy black (try our Zeitgeist Paint) or charcoal grey (our Portobello Paint is a great choice), or opt for dark colours with warming undertones such as our brown Briarwood Paint for north facing rooms.
- Animal Prints. The new neutral, animal prints came into vogue last year and its an interior trend that's here to stay. Great for suiting a variety of decor styles, embrace the wild side in your home decor with our Sexy Snakeskin Wallpaper or Leopard Love Wallpaper, Leopard Print Armchairs and Snakeskin Cushions.
- Make art of your interiors! Art-inspired pieces such as our Metallic Feather Pendant Light or Art Deco Marble Plate Wall Light adds an air of opulence to your interiors and are great for injecting glamour into your dark living room.
- Style Spots. Invest in a beautiful drinks trolley such as our Gatsby Drinks Trolley or Circular Art Deco 3-Tier Drinks Trolley and side tables such as our Hampstead Gold Side Table or Round Nest Of 3 Marble Side Tables and create striking style spots with beautiful objects, vases, glassware and bar accessories.
Living room idea no.3. - Statement Style
If you like to be bold with your interiors then this statement style living room is the look for you.
- Choose the mother of all colours. Be one step ahead of the rest and opt for colour choices that make your heart sing. If you love it, you'll never tire of it and so spend some time testing paint samples and find the paint colour that makes your heart skip a beat. For inspiration, check out the Rockett St George Paint Collection.
- Picture Walls. Picture or gallery walls are the ultimate way to create impact in your interiors. Easy to do, lay your art prints out on the floor and then tweak and edit the arrangement to your liking. Once you're settled on an arrangement, get a nail and hammer and start hanging your art on the wall. Our Unframed Snow White Wild Rose Art Print Poster, Unframed Ochra Blomst 02 Art Print By Uffe Buchard, Decorative Star Wall Hanging and the Unframed After The Disco Art Print would all make great choices.
- Statement Furniture. Beautiful furniture set the foundations for your statement living room, so take your time choosing the furniture that you love. Great choices include our Black Leather Loveseat Sofa, Teal Velvet Chesterfield Sofa With Stud Detail, Smoked Glass & Rose Gold Pyramid Coffee Table and Round Brass And Marble Drinks Trolley.
- Quirky Details. Imaginative pieces such as our Two Palm Reeds Floor Lamp, Palm Tree Floor Light and Brass Armadillo Candle Holder will add eclectic magic, humour and downright fun to your decor. So go all-out with your choices... the quirkier the better.