With Valentine's Day around the corner, we want to talk about Love. But, in a different and alternative way...
In our opinion, a day dedicated to love should always be celebrated. But it doesn't just have to be in a romantic sense. Whether you are showing love to your family, friends, yourself or your home this February 14th celebrate love your way. #loveislove.
So, we've created an alternative valentine's guide to show a little love to your partner, yourself and your home.
Rockett St George Products Featured: Black & Brass Lola Desk Lamp £65.00 | Hudson Bedside Table £149.00 | Olivia Soft Linen Frill Cushion - Slate Grey £60.00 |
Lisbon Soft Linen Cushion - Slate Grey £36.00 | Lisbon Soft Linen Duvet Cover - Rose Pink From: £135.00 | Lisbon Soft Linen Pair Of Pillowcases - Rose Pink £45.00
Rockett St George Products Featured: Giant Traditional Style Mug - Darling £22.00
Self-love is the very foundations of a happy and fulfilling life. So never feel guilty about planning out some time just for you! Your relationships, home life and general wellbeing will be lifted by carving out a few hours each week to do the things you love.
Here are some ideas for self-love:
- Relax with a creative activity. An active form of mindfulness, creative activities such as pottery classes, mood boarding, scrapbooking and even colouring are great for helping you to be in the moment.
- Get cooking. Cook up a feast or show off your baking skills! For many, cooking is a fulfilling activity that can make you feel calm and present in the moment. So spend an evening or two each week preparing a beautiful meal for you and your family to enjoy.
- Take an exercise class. We're not suggesting spinning your socks off in a spin class or running like a hamster on a treadmill if that's not your kind of thing. But studies have shown that movement is great for making you feel better. So whether it's a gentle yoga class, brisk dog walk or HIIT class, make sure you take some time out to move ya body!
- Spend time with friends. Where would we be without our friends?! Cliche as it sounds, friends truly are the best medicine so plan an evening in or out with your friends, sip cocktails, eat food, dance it out and just let your hair down! You will feel so much better for it!
- DIY. Upholster or build some furniture. The accomplishment and fulfilment that you will feel after creating something with your own hands is actually very powerful. Plus you'll update and revamp your home in the process. Check out our DIY Ideas Blog for upcycling with wallpaper here.
- Screen-Free time. We live in a digital age and so it's no wonder that #digitaldetox is becoming a trend in the health and wellness sphere. Perhaps make a promise yourself to go screen-free an hour before bedtime or even go a whole day on the weekend without your phone. It's incredibly liberating and leaves you time to do some self-love activities.
- Mindful Moments. If you're strapped for time or want to incorporate a few minutes of mindfulness and meditation into your day then this one is for you. At some point throughout your day when you are making your favourite beverage such as tea or coffee, take a moment to sit down and just enjoy your drink. We are so often on the go, and it's a great way to slow down and appreciate the moment.
- The Magic of Magnesium. Draw yourself a bath and fill it with magnesium. It's incredibly relaxing and powerful to help you sleep. Alternatively, Epsom Salts are great for relaxing the muscles in the bath.
- Sleep! We are always down for any excuse for an extra hour in bed! It goes without saying that sleep is essential for your body, mind and general wellbeing. So don't feel bad about prioritising those extra z's! Try our Linen Bedding for a great nights sleep. It's perfect for keeping you warm in the winter and cooler in the summer. Discover more in our Sleep Blog here.
LOVE YOUR HOME
Your home is your sanctuary. A place to restore, rest and relax ensure that it makes you feel calm and happy.
Here are our top tips for creating a happy home:
- De-clutter. Having a good old clear out is a great way to give your home new life. Keeping organised is actually a very mindful activity plus it will reduce the feeling of stress, improving the quality of your home life. Fans of the Netflix show 'Tidying Up With Marie Kondo' will know the philosophy of only keeping items that 'spark joy'. So when you are clearing out your items, ask yourself questions like, 'Do I love This Piece?'. If the answer is 'no' then say 'thank you' to the item and donate it or recycle it. For organisation and storage ideas click here.
- House Plants & Flowers. Go down to your local garden centre and invest in some house plants and flowers. Houseplants breathe clean air into your home and beautiful floral displays enhance your world.
- Create a relaxation zone. Dedicate a space in your bedroom, living room, hallway to be used solely for relaxing. Even if it's a statement armchair with a side table where you can go to, to read, think or simply just be, this space will help create a feeling of zen in your home.
- Spa Bathrooms. Create a sanctuary in your bathroom with plenty of candles, low-level lighting, plants and things you love. You can then adopt a nighttime ritual that will help you unwind and get ready for bed. Find out more about how to create a spa bathroom here.
- Blissful Bedroom. Our co-founder, Jane Rockett, has recently removed all electric devices from her room and switched off her wifi at night and it has really transformed the way she feels and sleeps.
- Less is more. Sometimes less really is more and too much furniture, home accessories and display pieces can make a living space feel cramped. Try removing a few pieces and see how you feel. You'd be surprised how moving furniture can change the energy in your home.
- Remove what you do not love. Get rid of anything that annoys you. An old duvet, bad pillows - whatever it is that plays on your mind, take action now and transform your home.
- Scents. Infuse your home with beautiful smells that relax you. Lavenders, Chamomile and other aromatherapy smells are wonderous at lifting the spirits. Alternatively, try our scented candles which are infused with beautiful scents. Our Love Is The Drug Candle is a scented combination of fig & blackcurrant with soft floral notes on a woody amber base. Perfect for getting you in the mood!
LOVE YOUR PARTNER
Rockett St George Products Featured: Giant Traditional Style Mug - Lover £22.00 | Rockett St George Scented Candles - Love Is The Drug £34.00
In day-to-day life, it's always the little actions that can have the biggest impact on your partner's wellbeing.
So, here are top tips for showing love to your partner:
- Date Night. Try and schedule a date in once a month away from the kids, your jobs and busy lives just for you and your partner. Do something you both love like go out for dinner, go for a walk, go to the cinema, see a show at the theatre.
- Small gestures of kindness. A cup of tea at the end of a hard day can go a long way, so try and incorporate small gestures of kindness into your day-to-day life. Send them a lovely text or email in the day to remind them you love them, bring home a beautiful bouquet of flowers or their favourite beer.
- Spontaneity. Surprise your other half with a weekend away, dinner out or a day trip to somewhere special.
- Help them out. Take care of something in their daily routine or on their to-do list. This is a particularly good idea when they are feeling stressed or overwhelmed and is a lovely way to show them that they are loved.
- Make them tea or coffee every morning. Start their day with love and make them a cup of tea or coffee in their favourite mug. We have a selection of lovely mugs that are perfect for this.