10 Mins With: Medina Grillo
We are completely and utterly in awe of the fabulous Medina of Grillo Designs, creative and DIY talent. With the ability to transform even the most unremarkable space into the extraordinary, Medina's DIY skills are so inspiring. Working in the healthcare industry by profession, Medina lives with her family in a rented property in Birmingham and spends her free time re-decorating, upholstering and creating magic, which is documented in her popular blog: Grillo Designs.
What we particularly love about Medina is her refusal to be creatively restricted despite the fact that she lives in a rented home. We all know that rented properties come with their own challenges, in particular, magnolia walls and carpets that many of us would not choose to decorate our homes with should we own the house. Medina has fearlessly embraced this challenge and created a home that is unique to her unique personal style, believing that you do not have to own a house in order to make it your own. A fabulous woman, we were so excited to chat to Medina all about her home, blog and favourite RSG pieces...
1. Tell us about yourself. When did your love for interiors and beautiful vintage pieces first begin?
My name is Medina. I'm a health professional by day and a DIY and interiors obsessed blogger by night (literally, I’m a night owl). I’ve always loved doing things that have allowed me to express my creativity, but it wasn't until after I got married and we rented out first flat that I really developed a passion for all things interiors. I had visions of replicating a beautifully styled home the way my mother had for us when I was growing up. At that time in my life, I had been on a limited budget, so I had to learn to be really resourceful when it came to decorating. My go to places were and still are eBay, Facebook sales groups and gumtree and I managed to buy some great vintage pieces at bargain prices!
2. You write the DIY and Home Improvement blog, Grillo Designs. Have you always been a creative person and what inspired you to start writing your blog?
YES! I’ve always loved doing things that have allowed me to express my creativity and that is one of the reasons why I started my blog. It's so fun being able to share the things you love, and even more fun when you find people actually want to read what you write. Sometimes my day job can be stressful and my blog is that therapeutic outlet that helps with that.
3. You, live with your husband and son and we love seeing your home renovation updates on your @grillodesigns Instagram account! How would you describe your home to someone who hasn’t seen it before?
Haha, loads of black and white - with quirky textures and patterns. As you know, I’m a huge fan of DIY, so must of the stuff you see in my house was made by my husband and I. Also, rustic decor - that is really my thing recently!
4. Which room do you and your family typically hang out in and why?
Erm.. we spend quite a lot of time in the dining room. Mostly because we love food and we are the kind of family that likes to sit around the table to eat. Also, the dining room is usually where all the DIY projects happen because it has the most space.
5. What is your favourite artwork/furniture/home accessory that you own?
I love my IKEA wall sticker art hanging on my porch. My husband hated it at first but I think its growing on him.
6. Tell us about a DIY, creative or home improvement project that you are working on right now?
I am currently working on creating a gorgeous planter for my garden made from...wait for it… tiles!
7. You live in a rented property and there are certain decorating challenges that face all renters such as constrictions on the wall colours and carpet choices. What are your top three tips for someone who is trying to put their own unique stamp on their rented home?
- My first piece of advice would always be - decorate for yourself and not for others. So you don't own your house - that's ok. A house doesn't have to be yours for you to make it a home you can enjoy and love. Be open and honest with your landlord.
- Make use of renter-friendly options when decorating, i.e. removable wallpaper, contact paper, command hooks etc.
- Rugs! You can cover up ugly floors or unsightly carpets with a lovely rug that fits into your style and decor.
8. What should no home be without?
9. What’s next for Grillo Designs?
There are so many things I want to do this year. But the biggest thing is YouTube! I plan to attempt vlogging and see what happens! Wish me luck!
10. Finally, name three new RSG products that you love?
Quick Fire Questions
- I am happiest when… a DIY project comes together!
- My favourite magazine is… Re-loved.
- My dream holiday would be… Marrakech! I've always wanted to go.
- My ideal day would be spent…. home decor shopping!
- My personal motto is… why do today, what you can tomorrow (haha).
- My guilty pleasure is… coffee and binge-watching The Real Housewives series.
- The last film I saw was… A quiet place. Great movie!
- My favourite book is… The Hunger Games.
- In five years’ time, I want to be… an AUTHOR!
- The three things I can’t live without are… coffee, the coffee maker and the mug that the coffee goes in!